PDA

View Full Version : Algae went sexual! Help!!

cprice
08/26/2016, 08:21 PM
So I just came home to a very cloudy tank and a refugium full of white caulerpa algae. I am very confident it went sexual and the cloudiness in the tank is a result of the released spores. I have 300 gallons in my system and can only make so much RO waters what should I do to help solve the problem?? Will this kill my SPS??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subsea
08/27/2016, 06:18 AM
So I just came home to a very cloudy tank and a refugium full of white caulerpa algae. I am very confident it went sexual and the cloudiness in the tank is a result of the released spores. I have 300 gallons in my system and can only make so much RO waters what should I do to help solve the problem?? Will this kill my SPS??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When seaweed goes sexual BOD goes up and oxygen comes down. The fish are the first to suffer. If fish are ok with BOD, SPS will be happy as well. Use activated carbon to clear up tank water.

Ron Reefman
08/27/2016, 09:16 AM
And if the algae is in your refugium, switch to chaeto as it doesn't ever cause this issue.

Dkuhlmann
08/27/2016, 06:00 PM
x2 to what Ron said :thumbsup:

Ron Reefman
08/28/2016, 05:13 AM
BTW, I keep some purple/red Graciela macro algae in my DT and every 3 or 4 months I cut it back about 50%. Nitrate and phosphate export are just side benefits to it looking good in the tank.