PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Recommendation - What to Replace

QuiGonJay
08/27/2016, 09:07 AM
45 Gallon reef tank. Been trying to lower phosphate levels for the past 3 months as I suspect it's fueling a bubble algae invasion. Despite water changes every other week (my normal routine) along with a ton of manual removal I'm losing.

Have tried Phosguard and similar products in the regular media cartridge, but can't get below .08 (not horrible but I have an algae issue with relatively low nitrates (10) so probably contributing).

After much research I've invested in a small media reactor which I'm going to use with Aquamaxx Phosphate Out Pro (GFO).

My question: what to remove in the the back of the tank to add this? I have an all in one. The candidates are:

* Media Rack one - carbon, purigen
* Media Rack two - Chemipure Elite
* Mini Refugium - chaeto with light

I use one slot for a skimmer, which is staying of course. I'm guessing the refugium - while kind of fun and a home for my wayward gorilla crab, I can't imagine it does anything for the tank as it's too small.

Thoughts?

J.

nmotz
08/27/2016, 01:28 PM
Bubble algae is tough, dealing with it myself these days. Some (not all) emerald crabs will eat the stuff just FYI. Of those options I suppose I'd get rid of the chaeto too.

QuiGonJay
08/27/2016, 03:26 PM
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk