PDA

View Full Version : Deep Blue Tanks - are they worth it?

jkobel
08/28/2016, 02:49 PM
Folks,

I'm considering a DBP 75gal Rimless but I'm seeing a lot of negative posts about extreme bubbles in the seams. A few aren't going to bother me but I've seen some horror stories on here.

Does anyone have good experiences with them? Typically people are more willing to proactively discuss negative experiences so I'm trying to figure out the these bad seams are typical or the outliers.

OR

Are there other tanks on the market that anyone would recommend? I like the rimless/black silicone look but definitely not married to DBP brand...Anyone know custom tank builders local to Boston MA?

Also, I welcome any other anecdotal experiences about these tanks that might be helpful...

Thanks in advance!

dyazdani
08/28/2016, 06:42 PM
I just bought a Deep Blue - it's been running for a week and no bubbles at all.

jkobel
08/28/2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks dyazdani, what size is your tank?

BigBoi5680
08/29/2016, 06:27 AM
I have a 75 gallon Deep Blue rimless cube, no bubbles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fnic99
08/29/2016, 04:04 PM
I have a DB 75g rimless that I am in the process of setting up. Only critical so far is the overflow cover does not fit properly. Can see it ending up in the tank frequently. The seems and everything else seem good. I built a custom stand with a recessed top to cover the bottom trim. Not bad for the price.

jkobel
08/29/2016, 05:23 PM
thanks Fnic99, great looking stand. Do you have plans for that you would be willing to share? :)

Fnic99
08/29/2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I have some pictures that I took during various stages of the build. I would be happy to share them with a description of the stages. No real plan but the design was simple. This is the first thing I ever built.

Would you suggest starting a new thread? New to this board and not sure if the protocol.

dyazdani
08/29/2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks dyazdani, what size is your tank?

I've got the rimless, reef ready 35 G cube. I'll get around to posting a build thread eventually.

BigBoi5680
08/29/2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I have some pictures that I took during various stages of the build. I would be happy to share them with a description of the stages. No real plan but the design was simple. This is the first thing I ever built.

Would you suggest starting a new thread? New to this board and not sure if the protocol.

Fnic99 yes......a new thread would be sweet! That stand is [profanity]

eastlake
08/30/2016, 07:06 AM
At the LFS I used to work at deep blue became about 90% of the tanks we carried and sold. No one ever came back with a complaint of leaks and were very happy with the product. There's also a local acrylic guy who swears by them and says that he's only made maybe one tank to replace a deep blue that failed, and that's saying something since that's taking money out of his pocket.

Bluefish9
08/30/2016, 07:44 AM
Im on my second. First was a 57 rimless and now im building a 150xh fowlr. So far so good. Keep in mind, most people post about a tank itself only when there is an issue and pretty much not at all if all is good. So in a sense some of those reviews (however overwhelming they might seem) most likely represent a minority of tanks.

I will say this though, the bulkheads that come with the tank are absolute crap. Not sure if you are looking at a reef ready design but if so... Be sure to grab some new ABS bulkheads. The ones that BRS sells are pretty good in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotelbravo
08/30/2016, 09:48 AM

a build thread would be cool but you need your post count up a bit in order to post pictures.

Fnic99
08/30/2016, 10:52 AM
Sure. Need to post a little more then. How many do I need?

jkobel
08/30/2016, 11:22 AM
+1 on the build thread :)

Cliving1
08/30/2016, 04:39 PM
I had the 80 gallon shallow frag style tank, and absolutely loved it.

Eud
08/30/2016, 05:52 PM
I have had a rimless deep blue 75 running for three years. No leaks. Not an excess of bubbles in the seams either. I thought it was built well.

dyazdani
08/30/2016, 09:21 PM
I will say this though, the bulkheads that come with the tank are absolute crap. Not sure if you are looking at a reef ready design but if so... Be sure to grab some new ABS bulkheads. The ones that BRS sells are pretty good in my experience.

I didn't like them either, mostly because I wanted slip fittings rather than barbed. I bought new ones as well, not a big deal.

A sea K
08/31/2016, 04:46 AM
Have a deep blue 30 gal rimless for 2 years and love it. Currently setting up a 80gal rimless. As mentioned, changing the bulkheads is a must and I use the slip ABS bulkheads from BRS with no complaints.