PDA

View Full Version : Help! Jawfish Missing

mossimo654
08/28/2016, 06:32 PM
Hi all,

I know these threads have been done to death. I've looked through several about Jawfish missing, and none have information that's specifically what I'm looking for. Here's the issue:

I got a jawfish three weeks ago today. I drip acclimated it, and when I put him in the tank, he bolted straight for the rocks and I haven't seen him since. However, about two days later, I started noticing burrows around my tank. These would generally be in the morning. I figured this was a good sign and didn't worry about it. I tried target feeding mysis around the burrows but couldn't entice it to come out. About four or five days ago I noticed that there weren't any new burrows. However, there are two that have not yet been covered by sand from my CUC.

I am wondering, has it been too long? I haven't been able to see or feed the jawfish since he was put in the tank. I have a tight-fitting lid and I've looked around to see if he's anywhere on the floor and haven't found anything. The only other fish I have in there is a Kole Tang.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Perams: 77 degrees, Ammonia: 0, Nitrates: 0.5, SG: 1.025

BigBlueTang
08/28/2016, 08:35 PM
It might have died and gotten eaten by your CUC. Or it could be still hiding. They are elusive. Another thing is that it could have found an opening in your lid and gotten eaten by a pet? That one happened to me..

BigBoi5680
08/29/2016, 06:23 AM
I purchased 3 yellow head jaw fish about a week ago and thought I would be fine because my tank is 29" deep......over the course of 4 days all three jumped out, took me forever to find the little clear dried out bodies on the floor [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alton
08/29/2016, 07:51 AM
if your tank is loaded with mysid shrimp they will hunt at night until all the live food is gone. Then they will magically appear looking for a hand out.

Bent
08/29/2016, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I know these threads have been done to death. I've looked through several about Jawfish missing, and none have information that's specifically what I'm looking for. Here's the issue:

I got a jawfish three weeks ago today. I drip acclimated it, and when I put him in the tank, he bolted straight for the rocks and I haven't seen him since. However, about two days later, I started noticing burrows around my tank. These would generally be in the morning. I figured this was a good sign and didn't worry about it. I tried target feeding mysis around the burrows but couldn't entice it to come out. About four or five days ago I noticed that there weren't any new burrows. However, there are two that have not yet been covered by sand from my CUC.

I am wondering, has it been too long? I haven't been able to see or feed the jawfish since he was put in the tank. I have a tight-fitting lid and I've looked around to see if he's anywhere on the floor and haven't found anything. The only other fish I have in there is a Kole Tang.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Perams: 77 degrees, Ammonia: 0, Nitrates: 0.5, SG: 1.025

Knowing jawfish the first place I would check is the floor around the tank.

Having said that, the "drip acclimation" part makes me suspicious it didn't die and get eaten. Never drip your fish.