PDA

View Full Version : Changing Anthias

kmbyrnes
08/29/2016, 02:57 PM
I had a trio of Anthias as some of my first fish. One died in a crash, but the other two became a pair. About 6 weeks ago the male died after getting stuck in the rockwork when I drained the tank to catch a bullying damsel. So I got another pair of Anthias and they are almost done with QT.
When I looked at my tank today, surprise! The remaining female has started changing! She certainly wasn't showing any visible signs on Saturday.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/kmbyrnes1960/Changing_Anthias_zpse7qgzzar.jpg

davocean
08/29/2016, 03:14 PM
Without a male to keep them in check it obviously can happen overnight, if your new pair includes a male you may need to swap that out for a female

kmbyrnes
08/29/2016, 06:09 PM
Nope 2 females. I expected the survivor to change, but not that quickly!

billdogg
08/30/2016, 05:07 AM
Isn't it cool to see it happening? I got a pair of Lyretails about a year ago that were both female. One day I just sorta went WOW - wouldya looky at that. Nature at work.

kmbyrnes
08/30/2016, 05:55 AM
Some of the other changers are so slow - Red Coris Wrasse, Koran Angel, Chevron Tang - that watching this is quite cool. Much better the second time as I know whats happening. The first time, I thought my fish was sick!

C.Eymann
08/30/2016, 06:27 AM
I love watching them change, it unpredictable too. Out of the triother I got, the runt that was getting chased the most became the male.

davocean
08/30/2016, 10:16 AM
It is cool to see, and the immediate change happens pretty fast, but you'll see it continue as colors become more established and it develops streamers as well.