PDA

View Full Version : How long can Live Rock be out of water?


EthanHawaii
08/29/2016, 10:30 PM
Hello,
Yesterday I took my mushrooms and sand sifting starfish to my LFS to trade them for something I actually want, so I got a big chunk of live rock, and it was out of the water for probably 25 mins due to having to crush it so it would fit were I wanted it to go, and for the last 10 min it was in and out of the water, so my question is: Have I caused die off? And if so, how long until I start to see problems?
Btw the LR is about 6 pounds and is fully cured.

Thanks.

mjstech
08/29/2016, 10:57 PM
I would think any die off will be very minimal. And any chunks unhappy with 15 mins out of water which is nothing really, you washed in water column with rock being in and out of tank(water). Watch skimmer if you have one, and you could always watch water params if you are really conserned and do water change if needed. I doubt anything with happen with params.

EthanHawaii
08/29/2016, 11:00 PM
Ok, thank you,

I did my usual 12 gallon water change today on the 55 gallon tank and my ammonia was showing as 0.25! but I tested again and it was 0 :lol2:
and my Nitrate was at the normal 4.0-3.0 which is were I want it.

CLR
08/30/2016, 07:06 PM
Seems like itll be alright 25 minutes isnt too bad, should be alright, keep us updated

EthanHawaii
08/30/2016, 10:38 PM
Ok, everything is looking good so far, I will test for ammonia tomorrow.

Thanks

EthanHawaii
08/31/2016, 01:59 PM
I tested ammonia today and it was showing up at about 0.10!!! but I tested again and it was 0? this is the second time this has happened, tomorrow I will bring a water sample down to my LFS and get them to test ammonia with a digital tester to confirm it's at 0.

MuShu
09/03/2016, 12:35 PM
Are you using the API test kit? False ammonia readings are a known issue with those.

thegrun
09/03/2016, 12:45 PM
Sponges (if there are any on the rock) would be the first to die, and they do die off fairly quickly when exposed to the air. Most everything else is okay as long as the rock stays damp.

EthanHawaii
09/04/2016, 11:33 AM
Are you using the API test kit? False ammonia readings are a known issue with those.

Yes I am using the API test kit which I'm really starting to hate, the PH bottle's drops are twice the size of the other drops from the other bottles! so I'm starting to switch to salifert, the first one I've ordered is the ammonia test.

EthanHawaii
09/04/2016, 11:35 AM
Sponges (if there are any on the rock) would be the first to die, and they do die off fairly quickly when exposed to the air. Most everything else is okay as long as the rock stays damp.

Ok, good to know, I didn't see any sponges on my rock, and everything in the tank is acting normal.