PDA

View Full Version : Marineland DD Tank Nightmare

ReefMaverick
08/30/2016, 12:10 PM
:sad2:

If you think about Reefer Nightmare....you think about what...Velvet Wipeout ? Nope ! RTN ? Nope....Power failure ? Nope....I think about Tank leaking....like 100 Gallon of water on your floor, resulting in an electrical fire, fish lost, coral lost, hardware lost...Well here we go ! I'm reefing for 32 years and never had 1 single leak....that was until I got my First Marineland 200 DD back in Sept 2013....beleive it or not I manage to move over the course of 1 full month all my Live Stock in Nov 2013 from my 30, 50 and 90 Gallon Tank without 1 single lost....that was until Dec 2013 when the tank started leaking overnight and we lost our Livestock. Well you want know how STUPID we are ! instead of taking the money and get a custom tank we took the Marineland offer for a replacement tank....a 200DD and restarted our tank....all was well until June 2016....guess what ! Tank leaked overnight.....big leak.....100 gallon and more on the floor....ruined the basement and caused a fire ! We jumped on the phone ....to talk to Marineland Customer Rep....no worries we will take care of you....BS.....we are August 30th 2016. Nothing has move....we had to get our home insurance involved, pay 500$ franchise to get the house repaired (15K) and still we have yet to receive anything from Marineland....after doing to extensive research on the web we were able to find out that those Deep Dimension Tank have history of failure (Marineland was very good at hiding this) but well know hobby expert like Mr Saltwater Man (Mark Callahan) have reached out to us and told us about issue they had heard before...So we hired an expert engineer and he tested the tank....and other before....and the result was that our tank like other Deep Dimension he had to expertise before had all the same issue with faulty Silicone between side panel and bottom panel.....

My advice if you are the owner of a Marineland Deep Dimension Tank....call and ask what will the do to help you.....

If you hare planning to get a Marineland Deep Dimension Tank.....put your money somewhere else...

sfsuphysics
08/30/2016, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your losses and frustration.

I remember when they first came out I instantly fell in love, here is a standard tank that has a 36 inch width front to back? Sign me up! Then luckily for me the pet wholesaler mafia that supplies California LFS pushed their own brand and those tanks were never seen here. Plus they werent exactly cheap for a "standard" sized tank. And I never got one, however reading posts like this make me certain I will never be tempted to get one, so thank you

ReefMaverick
08/31/2016, 04:46 PM
Wow thanks god....after 2 1/2 months marineland...and their insurance made me a settlement offer. We took it...it was not 100% of our lost but still acceptable.

maddmaxx
09/04/2016, 03:16 PM
Wow thanks god....after 2 1/2 months marineland...and their insurance made me a settlement offer. We took it...it was not 100% of our lost but still acceptable.

something is better then nothing right..glad that's over for ya. I was highly considering their 300DD tank, but with more and more horror stories popping up, ill gladly look else where...

sacremon
09/08/2016, 10:36 AM
You folks are getting me worried.

I've had a 300DD running for over five years now. I'm using their stand (which many hate for being too low) but it is what they insist on using if you want to stay within warranty. Honestly I haven't had any issues, unlike my wife's Coralife Cardiff, which developed a long horizontal crack earlier this summer.

I have a Platax Orbicularis that likes the swimming room the 36" width affords, so the tank is worth it for me.

jusn317
09/08/2016, 06:08 PM
Add me to the list of former Marineland DD tank owners that had a leak after only about two years. Came home from work one day, and noticed small pin hole sized area at front seam of tank just above the brace. I was able to quickly move my livestock over to numerous tanks I had laying around the basement, and there was no real damage to any of equipment. When I took tank back to LFS (no easy job) they said had few of them leak and need to be replaced. When my replacement tank came in few weeks later, sold it to someone for like $600 and put that towards a much nicer although smaller DSA tank.

Sorry for your headache, my issue could have been just like yours had I not come home early that day.

saf1
09/08/2016, 07:48 PM
I was getting ready to purchase one. Then these threads started coming up and I backed off. Ended up going with another vendor and even reduced gallons from 300 down to 210.

I really feel for anyone who has their tank crash due to what appears a manufacturing issue. Don't want to point a finger but that is at least what I'm reading more often than not. I wonder how many tanks are out there total and then what the failure number and timeline is. Wonder if it is a low number or high. If high - why haven't they recalled them?

Seems it would be cheaper to recall and address/replace than paying through insurance premium.

usmc1812
09/08/2016, 07:52 PM
As long as the stand is built correctly you do not need their stand for the warranty. It has to be built by a professional.

geckoejon
09/09/2016, 03:00 PM
As long as the stand is built correctly you do not need their stand for the warranty. It has to be built by a professional.

^^^^ that is correct... I recently went with the marineland 220g. I went with an r&j aquatics stand and hood though... I got my stand 4" taller then the marineland, a color that I liked, and is still covered under the marineland warranty... Believe me when I say I called several times to check :)

- marineland is a major tank manufacturer... I'm sure they make many many tanks every year, but I'm sure it's a very small percentage that fail. You have failures in any manufactured item! I give them credit for giving some kind of warranty... What other manufacturer does that??? That's precisely why I bought my 220g manufactured by them :)

BeanMachine
09/13/2016, 03:52 PM
So posted this on the forum and the very next day they offered you a settlement?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

maddmaxx
09/15/2016, 07:00 PM
So posted this on the forum and the very next day they offered you a settlement?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

based off of this post alone. it looks like he was battling them for 2.5 months. he just happened to post this the day before the settlement...

mmaisonneuve
10/25/2017, 07:53 AM
Actually only 1/2 of the settlement occur...go my money for the Tank, fish and equipment....but there is still a 11000$ unpaid amount to my home insurance....and because of that my premium is still up by around 500$ a year....Do not trust Marineland, Spectrum Brand and their insurance company....people like Rosemary Hartmann at Marineland are paid to tell you want you want to hear....but you will have to work like a donkey to see your money.