PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish: snow onyx X black ice

Fish Monger
08/30/2016, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone! I posted this question on my local forum, but it seems fairly dead and has been left unanswered! So I have these 2 clownfish, they seem to be pairing very well, and I hope to breed them one day. I want to keep the lineage and naming as accurate as possible, but I can't seem to find a name for what the offspring would be called. All I have found out is that if the babies get a double dose of the snowflake gene, they might not hatch. So I'm wondering, would there be multiple possible varieties that can come from this pair, or am I creating a whole new variety of clownfish? Thanks in advance!

sharkboy99999
08/30/2016, 03:51 PM
Black ice, black snowflake and just normal orange and white oc. You would probably get a mixture of these. And BTW you have a black snowflake and I the other one (the orange one) looks like either a black ice or snow onyx

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Fish Monger
08/30/2016, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help! I was told that the Orange one was snow onyx, and the black one was black ice

Wilrok_1
09/02/2016, 03:19 PM
Looks like a black snowflake and snow onyx to me

Anthony357
09/25/2016, 10:16 PM
those are awesome lookin clowns!

president89
11/12/2016, 07:21 AM
All I have found out is that if the babies get a double dose of the snowflake gene, they might not hatch.

Who told you that? I know people refer to the double-dose as a death sentence, but what it really means is you won't get high percentage of extreme snowflakes which is typically what happens when you have the same gene in both parents. You won't have any dead fish or unhatched one due to double-dose.

farfromsea
11/12/2016, 10:04 AM
Who told you that? I know people refer to the double-dose as a death sentence, but what it really means is you won't get high percentage of extreme snowflakes which is typically what happens when you have the same gene in both parents. You won't have any dead fish or unhatched one due to double-dose.

I googled and some online seller decided this on conjecture declaring the snowflake phenotype results from a dominant allele. I don't see him genotyping his clowns so how will he know if his fish are heterozygous or homozygous dominant? I wouldn't worry about this death theory