PDA

View Full Version : QT process review

neiltus
08/30/2016, 07:51 PM
Getting back in the hobby after a few years. Have a 72g DT through cycle with CUC and quite a few inverts that came in with the TBS rock.

Pickup up a 10 gallon this week to have a QT tank. Plan to run an air stone in a foam filter, a 50w eheim heater, and have a few PVC elbows. I plan on water changes and using prime to keep NH3/4 at good levels. I don't intend on cycling this tank, nor keeping it up and running between uses. I plan on disposing of the foam filter after QT and putting no more than 2 small fish in it at one time.

I don't plan on medicating with copper unless I get to a point where I have to.

I have Formalin MS coming. I do plan on doing TTM (5 gallon buckets) with Prazi in possibly the 2/3 steps of the TTM. After TTM I will do a 4 week observation in the QT.

Questions:
1) Should I Formalin dip all newcomers either before TTM? While I have never done this, I am comfy with it, have respirators, and have read up on how to do it. I am just on the fence as to if it's overkill with the forthcoming Prazi dosing.
2) Should I do a third dose/exposure of Prazi while in the QT say at day 6 after entry?
3) Suggestions on what I am missing?

Appreciate your time and thoughts...

ThRoewer
08/31/2016, 12:49 AM
1) Yes, as it is primarily against Brooklynella and Uronema.

2) Up to you. If the fish handled the first two doses OK it should be fine.

3) make the observation time 6 weeks to get a total of 8 weeks quarantine.

Also, don't just assume that the fish are clear of skin and gill "flukes" just because you treated with PraziPro, a good number of these parasites are unaffected by Praziquantel.

neiltus
08/31/2016, 06:36 AM
I have also read that some use Metro during Q. Is this to harsh?

I am ok with more time to the schedule.

Assuming I do Formalin, and then 3 treatments of Prazi at 6 day intervals other than 6 weeks observation and treatment is there anything else I should add to a specimen who is otherwise eating well and behaving normally?

Other than angels, are there any fish that will not tolerate this. I initially plan to start with a small yellow goby, and possibly a wrasse of some sort.

Dmorty217
08/31/2016, 08:01 AM
I have also read that some use Metro during Q. Is this to harsh?

I am ok with more time to the schedule.

Assuming I do Formalin, and then 3 treatments of Prazi at 6 day intervals other than 6 weeks observation and treatment is there anything else I should add to a specimen who is otherwise eating well and behaving normally?

Other than angels, are there any fish that will not tolerate this. I initially plan to start with a small yellow goby, and possibly a wrasse of some sort.

Angels will tolerate Praziquantel and any other med you have to use