PDA

View Full Version : Tank Upgrade

RBU1
08/31/2016, 07:19 AM
OK looking for some guidance here. I am upgrading from a 65 gallon to a 150 gallon. I will be transfer over all my live rock and fish that are currently in the 65. I have also purchased an additional 80 pounds of live rock that is currently in saltwater with a powerhead. All equipment on the 150 will be new, like the sump, skimmer....... What is the best way to do this without having any type of cycle or issue that could harm fish or coral. Help is greatly appreciated.

Wazzel
08/31/2016, 07:49 AM
When I transferred from my 60 to 120 I did not add any live rock. To reduce the cycle in the new tank you need to get all the rock fully cured. Is the new tank in a different location or going in the same location? Mine went back in the same location.

Here is the general time line of my transfer
Wednesday - set up holding tank (120 gallon fiberglass tank), added 15 gallons of new saltwater to holding tank.
Thursday - added 15 more gallons of new SW, added power heads and heater.
Friday - broke down my attached frag tank, moved most of the water first, then the frags, then the inverts. Left the last bit of nasty water in the frag tank.
Broke down the 60. I moved a fair amount of water first. Then the corals and rocks. Fish and inverts were last. During all this time I was making more new SW.
Set up 120. Added 15 gallons of new SW, heater and power heads. Started transferring water and rocks first, then corals, then fish and inverts. I continually added new SW as it was ready. Finished up with the transfer late Friday night. I ended up not having enough SW and kept making and adding until Sunday.

My stock was 40-something corals, 7 fish, 4 shrimp and various inverts. Coming up on 1 month post transfer and I have only lost 1 SPS coral. Some of them took significant beatings. I have one that was a colony about the size of my head that is now just a 3" frag and another that was baseball sized that is now just a 1/2" frag. Other have dead spots here and there, but are recovering. Most made that transfer with out any notable issues.

If all your rock is cured and you match, SG, temp, Alk and the other parameters it should go fine. If your new rock is not fully cycled it could cause an issue.

RBU1
08/31/2016, 09:41 AM
How can I tell if all the rock I have in a brute with a powerhead is fully cured? I change out 100% of the water weekly.

Wazzel
08/31/2016, 10:12 AM
How can I tell if all the rock I have in a brute with a powerhead is fully cured? I change out 100% of the water weekly.

Check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to see if the rock has completed the nitrogen cycle. Water changes can help, but you do not want to still have ammonia producing crud on the rocks.

RBU1
08/31/2016, 10:26 AM
ok thanks, I have been changing water out for about 3 weeks now. Ill take some tests.

Wazzel
08/31/2016, 10:29 AM
ok thanks, I have been changing water out for about 3 weeks now. Ill take some tests.

Three weeks in you have probably missed the ammonia and nitrite spikes. Both should be on the decline now.

RBU1
08/31/2016, 10:29 AM
That's a good thing, right!

RBU1
08/31/2016, 10:30 AM
I have also been adding bacteria to the water. Bioptim....I think that's what its called.

Wazzel
08/31/2016, 11:28 AM
That's a good thing, right!

Yes it is.