PDA

View Full Version : How to feed dwarf lion pellets

splix
08/31/2016, 11:13 AM
I'll start off by saying that you have to have your lionfish trained to eat frozen first of all. Also, if this is a bad idea, please let me know.

I've recently acquired a yellow dwarf lion from a fellow reefer to exited the hobby. She trained him to eat frozen food and the lionfish understand that tongs = food. She was feeding him primarily PE mysis. I'm also feeding him mysis but I'm not too fond of it due to once the chunk hits the water and breaks up, all the rest of the fish come rushing over and the lion fish becomes too scared to eat.

Here is what I've been doing lately. Cutting scallops into small chunks, about 1/3 of a dime size. I've also noticed that while the scallop is thawing, it will soak up any additive like a sponge. I've been dropping a little selcon and vita-chem onto the scallop which wont wash off when it hits the water. Because scallops probably arent widely nutritional full time, I've been taking a few NLS pellets and jamming them inside the scallop.
The scallop, additives, and pellets stay in one piece in the water. I just let it out of the tongs right in front of the lionfish and he immediately attacks it. No mess in the water to attract other fish. 2-3 small chucks of these a night over a 10 min period and he's a happy stuffed lionfish without any mess.