PDA

View Full Version : Question about dry rock curing.

bmitchell138
09/01/2016, 10:34 AM
A little back story...

I bought a used tank from a fellow reefer and it came with around 100 lbs of live rock. Since I was not going to be able to set up the tank immediately I decided to bleach and acid wash the rock so now it is dry.

Now...

I'm about a month (maybe two) away from getting the tank setup and running and wasn't sure if I should cure the dry rock in a tub until I get the tank ready to run or if I should just add the dry rock to the tank once it is ready for water.

My thoughts are to leave the rock dry since it will be easier to work with as far as aquascaping. I figure the rock will cure and become live in the tank during the cycling process.

Does this seem like a good plan or should I cure the rock and then add it to the tank?

RockOn681
09/01/2016, 10:42 AM
I like to set it up dry for the reason you mentioned it is easy to aquascape and then start adding water. It will be a month or two before you really put anything in the tank, but in my opinion it is worth it.

scooter31707
09/01/2016, 01:14 PM
Yep, since you already acidic washed it, IMO, I would put the dry rock in there when you set the tank up.

bmitchell138
09/01/2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys! That's what I'll do then. :thumbsup: