PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, buying an established tank

Blazingreef123
09/02/2016, 06:18 AM
So a guy here locally is getting out of the hobby completely and he is selling his entire setup. Tank, sump, stand, fish, LR, lights, corals EVERYTHING. I have been talking to him for a while and we came to a good price for all of it. The tank is currently setup with fish in it and looks very healthy, good coralline growth, theres a couple corals in there and they look happy, and its been established longer than mine has. So here's my question, after I purchase the setup should I literally just migrate my fish over to the tank I'm purchasing and consider that my new reef tank? or should I incorporate all of the equipment (such as the lights, skimmer, powerheads), fish, coral, and LR into my setup? What would be the pro's and cons? Like I said its a pretty good looking tank. Both my tank, and the tank ill be buying are the exact same size but the main difference is the one I'm buying is acrylic and mine is glass. Which honestly I prefer glass just because of acrylic scratching so easily. So part of me is tempted to use the acrylic tank as a sump in another room and change my plumbing. Let me know what you guys think!

ReefsandGeeks
09/02/2016, 06:32 AM
It's really up to you what you'd like to do, put everything in one tank, or have 2 tanks running. What was the purpose of buying the new tank if it's the same size as the one you already have and not planning on running both?

If Putting everything together in one tank, I'd just be cautious about the bio load doubling, and also possible territorial issues or other fish incompatibilities.

You have a possibility for a mini cycle either way you go, moving your stuff t the new tank or vis versa, sue to such a large change in bio load. If moving everything to one tank, now is the time to decide which one you like better, the acrylic or glass. Plenty or pros and cons to both. I've only ever had glass tanks so I can't say what I'd pick.

kozmic
09/02/2016, 06:42 AM
Which honestly I prefer glass just because of acrylic scratching so easily. So part of me is tempted to use the acrylic tank as a sump in another room and change my plumbing.

i think you've answered your own question... :thumbsup:

This is what I would do too... If the new tank (given it's the same size) doesn't appeal aesthetically to you more than your existing, why disrupt what you have going already? Once you tear down the tank you're buying, if you were to re-setup as your new DT, it would probably go through a mini-cycle causing additional work/time anyway...

I'm with you - use the new tank as a sump/refugium... Or better yet, keep all the stuff that upgrades what you already have, sell the acrylic tank. If you need a larger sump, there's always Rubbermaid stock tanks for that, which are much cheaper than a nice acrylic (reef-ready, I assume) tank.

Then again, in the end... I would prob just end up running two tanks.. :lol:

Blazingreef123
09/02/2016, 02:58 PM
It's really up to you what you'd like to do, put everything in one tank, or have 2 tanks running. What was the purpose of buying the new tank if it's the same size as the one you already have and not planning on running both?

If Putting everything together in one tank, I'd just be cautious about the bio load doubling, and also possible territorial issues or other fish incompatibilities.

You have a possibility for a mini cycle either way you go, moving your stuff t the new tank or vis versa, sue to such a large change in bio load. If moving everything to one tank, now is the time to decide which one you like better, the acrylic or glass. Plenty or pros and cons to both. I've only ever had glass tanks so I can't say what I'd pick.

The tank was basically a mandatory package deal, as i said he is getting out of the hobby so he didn't want to keep any of it. I NEEDED all of the equipment and i WANTED the fish and corals so it turned out to be a great buy. If my aquarium 75G only has 2 clowns, a firefish, 2 damsels, and a yellow watchman goby should i even be worried about a mini cycle? The livestock im getting is a juvenile yellow tang, (yes i know the size they need there will be another tank size upgrade in the very near future) a blue/green chromis, a purple dottyback, and a sandsifting starfish along with a couple snails and blue legged hermit crabs. Think it will be a big bio-load difference? Also i will be adding at least 10-20 lbs. of the liverock from that tank on top of mine.

Blazingreef123
09/02/2016, 03:02 PM
i think you've answered your own question... :thumbsup:

This is what I would do too... If the new tank (given it's the same size) doesn't appeal aesthetically to you more than your existing, why disrupt what you have going already? Once you tear down the tank you're buying, if you were to re-setup as your new DT, it would probably go through a mini-cycle causing additional work/time anyway...

I'm with you - use the new tank as a sump/refugium... Or better yet, keep all the stuff that upgrades what you already have, sell the acrylic tank. If you need a larger sump, there's always Rubbermaid stock tanks for that, which are much cheaper than a nice acrylic (reef-ready, I assume) tank.

Then again, in the end... I would prob just end up running two tanks.. :lol:

haha i thought about running both tanks as well but i already have 2 planted FW tanks, a 40g breeder saltwater QT and my main saltwater tank. So i really don't have anymore space! Also, i have heard mixed pinions about moving sand around from one aquarium to another. if i do decide to move all of my fish into the new one or visa versa should i thoroughly clean all of the sand from whichever i choose to clean out?

Blazingreef123
09/02/2016, 03:16 PM
Also if any of you have experience moving fully setup tanks let me know! i moved mine about 4 hours across state once and everything went well but im open to new and better processes!

Sk8r
09/02/2016, 04:01 PM
Have something to pad/or keep elevated the bulkhead connectors on bottom, if on bottom: fragile. They can be unscrewed for transport and that would be safer.

Make a deal with lfs to take fish and inverts, get some clean new sand, (ergo purging old sins) and recycle.

Blazingreef123
09/02/2016, 04:38 PM
Have something to pad/or keep elevated the bulkhead connectors on bottom, if on bottom: fragile. They can be unscrewed for transport and that would be safer.

Make a deal with lfs to take fish and inverts, get some clean new sand, (ergo purging old sins) and recycle.

I was planning on keeping the fish, any particular reason you recommend taking them to a LFS?