PDA

View Full Version : New Clam Lost its Byssal Foot?!!!

cowspot83
09/02/2016, 04:05 PM
I have never ordered clams online before, but decided to try Diver's Den- ordered two maximas. The first was basically DOA, and the second looked great until this morning when I believe he separated from his byssal foot!? (Water parameters were all good, nothing bothering him/no nassarius/whelks in the tank.... )This is new to me, and my understanding was that this means certain death- but upon further research, some people are saying they can do just fine without it? Will you guys please confirm that this is indeed his byssal/foot and share any thoughts regarding outcome? He is looking and acting ok atm, so if this means death, is it a slow decline? Thanks for all input!!!

P.S- For those of you who have ordered from LA Diver's Den- curious about your success rate with their clams? I feel awful about the first guy not making it, and don't want to lose the second :(

cougareyes
09/02/2016, 08:47 PM
My crocea lived about 3 or 4 weeks after that happened, it happened during shipping from divers den. If you just received it from divers den I would call them and tell them the rocks that it was attached to was too heavy, and shortly after you put it in the tank that the foot separated. It is possible for them to survive but it is more likely it will not.

ca1ore
09/02/2016, 09:12 PM
Perhaps it's just a clump of byssal threads. That small rock doesn't look like enough to tear out the gland.

MondoBongo
09/09/2016, 10:27 AM
as long as it wasn't the entire gland, or damaged the gland, i don't think it will be an issue.

my T. crocea ejected a large clump of byssal threads a few years back. i had never seen it happen before and thought it was some nefarious nudibranch when i saw it wafting around the tank. as long as the clam ejected that itself, and it wasn't forcibly removed, i wouldn't be too concerned.

how is the clam acting otherwise?

as others have suggested, i would contact LA/DD and just give them a head up on the situation. they may be able to give you better information on the specifics.