PDA

View Full Version : Tank upgrade. Rock question.

Jollyg97
09/02/2016, 11:41 PM
Hey guys, upgrading from a 20 tall to a 50 gallon bow. I have about 30 pounds of nice established fiji live rock with tons of holes and pores that I'm putting in and soon putting livestock in after. I'm literally moving the rock 5 feet and using old tank water for a good chunck of the volume. My question is after this move would it be alright to add about 5 pounds of *cured* live rock about once every other week? My filtration is gonna be the rock, skimmer, and newly added sump that came with the tank with a carbon sock. Should just about everything be okay including my lps?

CarrieB
09/03/2016, 03:32 AM
Why is "cured" in quotes? If it's really cured and cycled, you'll be fine. In fact you can add more than that. If it's not or you aren't sure, i would put it in a tub and test the water after a week to make sure it's safe. If you see any ammonia you would want to wait. If you see significant nitrates or phosphates you also might want to wait or follow some other remedial action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jollyg97
09/03/2016, 06:08 PM
So a move from the 20 to the 50 would be no trouble with survival rates and such? Im moving straight from the established tank to the new one

Xxero
09/03/2016, 06:29 PM
So a move from the 20 to the 50 would be no trouble with survival rates and such? Im moving straight from the established tank to the new one

You might get a brief mini-cycle in the new tank, but everything should survive unscathed. It's fine to use all new water for the transfer unless you're just wishing to save on salt and such. If you do use all new water in the new tank, just make sure that the temperatures and specific gravity match.

HTH. :bigeyes: