PDA

View Full Version : Brittlestar problems. URGENT

Thierry05
09/03/2016, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I've decided to re-do my tank, replacing all the water, rocks and sand and starting over. The problem is that (obviously) the tank is going to end up cycling, and my one living invertebrate, my pink paddle brittlestar, is currently in a small bowl of salt-water as I am trying to replace stuff in the tank and put the new rock, water and sand in. I obviously cannot keep it in the bowl as its too small, (half a litre) so I was wondering if I could attempt to put her in the tank as soon as the water is ready, though I am worried about this idea.

CarrieB
09/03/2016, 08:45 AM
Can you get a 10 gallon tank from Petco to keep her in while she waits? You can treat the water with Prime if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thierry05
09/03/2016, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately not as I cannot really afford something like that. at the moment I just have the original tank, and a small bowl she is in. Maybe if I do frequent water changes she will be fine.

CarrieB
09/03/2016, 10:18 AM
Do you have a local reefing club? I'm sure someone would help you out temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thierry05
09/03/2016, 10:45 AM
Nope, at least not one nearby. Should I try to keep it alive in the bowl or a large vase (I have one) temporarily, with water changes?

Nina51
09/03/2016, 02:43 PM
even a little 5 gallon tank would be better than a small bowl. walmart has them for next to nothing.

Apotack
09/03/2016, 02:52 PM
This is the type of question that should be asked BEFORE taking the tank apart. You asked what you should do and were given a very simple solution, I don't know what else you are expecting.

Thierry05
09/03/2016, 04:35 PM
Yes, I was wondering about it before I decided to re-do the tank, but the only solution I had was to put the brittlestar in the tank after setting it up, testing parameters every day and doing water changes when nitrates were too high. I was asking here just in case there were any other options. Also, in the uk, small 5 gallon tanks are actually reasonably expensive, especially since its around 20 pounds for the tank with no heater, light, filter or anything else. And those things make it cost so much more. And either way, when people cycle tanks with live rock, which is much worse (nitrate wise) than dry rock, they get lots of hitchhiker brittle stars that make it through the whole cycle. I've just acclimatised and put the brittlestar in the aquarium, and I am testing parameters every day, writing data in a spreadsheet with details of everything happening each day so that I can solve problems. I know its risky, but I'm better off considering that buying a separate tank I'd never use again would just be no point especially since I am on a small budget. Hopefully, the brittlestar will survive.

But of course, thank you for the advice, at least I've learn't to not make that mistake again.

Bruce51
09/03/2016, 07:04 PM
you could use a 5 gallon bucket, like 4 bucks at lowes or home depo

pagojoe
09/05/2016, 12:50 AM
Brittlestars are pretty tough. They often survive in tanks when everything else dies, so...