PDA

View Full Version : MACNA 2016 Question

JeffReefs
09/03/2016, 10:44 AM
This year will be my first MACNA and I have a few questions. Are the corals there typically less expensive than at the local LFS? Also, are there more SPS, LPS, or softies there? Do the coral vendors have bags that they put the corals in when they sell them to you, just like at the LFS? Also, are the fish from exibitors like ORA and Proaquatix for sale?

Sorry for sounding so much like a noob,
JeffReefs

that Fish Guy
09/03/2016, 02:00 PM
This year will be my first MACNA and I have a few questions. Are the corals there typically less expensive than at the local LFS? Also, are there more SPS, LPS, or softies there? Do the coral vendors have bags that they put the corals in when they sell them to you, just like at the LFS? Also, are the fish from exibitors like ORA and Proaquatix for sale?

JeffReefs

I have never been to a MACNA but from what I see in Videos it is Typically Very High End Stuff meaning your LFS probably does not have that stuff at all so it is hard to compare prices.

You will see Crazy Stuff though. At the Last Reef-A-Palooza a Single Mushroom Polyp Sold for $10,000

So is $10,000 more than your LFS Price for a Mushroom Polyp, yes, but LFS's do not have Premium Bounce Mushrooms (Unless you live by WWC LOL) so you cannot compare the two.

MACNA is like a Giant Frag Swap and Trade Show Combined and at Regular Frag Swaps Frags are Typically Half the Price of LFS's at the Minimum.

I have seen Frags at the LFS for $50 to $60 and the same Frag at Frag Swaps I have gotten for $10 to $20

I know that is not the answer you are looking for but it is the best I can give you since I have never been to a MACNA or Large Reefing Event in Person (I have been to a Zillion Frag Swaps and LFS's though).

It is not going to be all Crazy Stuff like that though.

I am sure you will find Rastas, Sunset Monti's, Red Planets, etc. for for Much Less than LFS's Charge.

The Day I went to my First Frag Swap was also the Day I stopped going to LFS's because everything was soooo much Nicer, Rarer, and Cheaper than the LFS.

I wish I was going to MACNA :(

You are Incredibly Lucky and Will Have an Awesome Time :)

I would go on YouTube and check out some Old MACNA Videos to get an Idea of what they will have (They will have everything though - SPS, LPS, Softies).

that Fish Guy
09/03/2016, 02:10 PM

JeffReefs

Yes, they will Bag Them Up for You or Put them in Cups, etc.

All you need to Bring is a Cooler and Cash :)

JeffReefs
09/03/2016, 07:49 PM
Wow! Thanks a lot. I'm so hyped for MACNA now!!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

that Fish Guy
09/03/2016, 09:08 PM
Your Welcome.

Hopefully somebody who has been to MACNA before can give more details on how much stuff costs :)

reefwiser
09/04/2016, 08:15 AM
How much does stuff cost at MACNA
It really depends on what you are looking for. Coral pricing depends on the dealer and how rare the coral is. Best deals would be on Sunday afternoon on both corals and equipment Everything is for sale on Sunday afternoon thou you have to wait till the end of the show to pick the items up. You will see every coral you ever wished to have in your reef.
Just enjoy the time. This is my 18th MACNA I have hosted 3 of with with my club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that Fish Guy
09/05/2016, 12:51 PM
How much does stuff cost at MACNA
It really depends on what you are looking for. Coral pricing depends on the dealer and how rare the coral is. Best deals would be on Sunday afternoon on both corals and equipment Everything is for sale on Sunday afternoon thou you have to wait till the end of the show to pick the items up. You will see every coral you ever wished to have in your reef.
Just enjoy the time. This is my 18th MACNA I have hosted 3 of with with my club.

18 MACNA's!

That is Impressive.

I only know one person who has been to more than that.

reefwiser
09/05/2016, 02:19 PM
Since 1991 I was on the original board of MASNA which was started at the 91 MACNA. It is something to see the growth over the years. In the early years we struggled to get companies to come to the show. I spent a lot of time and money going to industry trade shows Making the companies aware of the show and why they should come. Now companies come from all over the world to the show.