PDA

View Full Version : Back with another wetpet idea!

Notorious
09/03/2016, 01:05 PM
So since my idea of a dogface puffer fell through I went back to the drawing board and tried looking for something else. I want something personable and interactive with color that would not get too big. Preferably a crustacean eater.

I think I have found my fish! I was looking into Humu Triggers and it seems they stay a bit smaller than most and they are slow growers meaning I will have lots of time before I need to upgrade. I saw one at a LFS it I must have been playing with the little guy for a solid 30min. I want to order a really small one online. I have seen them at a couple inches long. I have 40 gallon thats mostly empty with an aquamaxx skimmer and some media in an HOB.

I will upgrade to either a 75 or 90 in the next year. Would this be a good home for the humu trigger. Long long term he will most likely go in something much bigger but I just want to make sure if all else fails he is in a good home. Again I don't plan on adding any fish but would it be possible to add neon gobies(I know they will probably eat cleaner shrimp?).

As far as CUC members I was looking at cowries. Do you think the trigger would eat those?

cougareyes
09/03/2016, 10:33 PM
My first tank was a 40, I started with a humu, niger and undulated trigger. They lived in that tank for 3 years. The humu some will say actually grows painfully slow, I had that fish for over 10 years and he never hit 6" in a 180. If you keep your 75/90 minimally stocked he could easily live in there for a very, very long time. Very cool fish, I have raised many baby triggers, I have 3 right now that I started from an inch. Any tankmates would have to be at least semi aggression and not small, by their nature even when babies they will use those teeth, so the cowries snoot will look very tasty.

Notorious
09/04/2016, 01:02 AM
Thank you for your reply. So I have done a lot of research on here and it seems to be that these guys don't grow very fast at all. And I have seen very few if any adult specimens over 10in so I am going to go for it. In 5-6 years I plan to have at least a 125 so I know he will have that.

Strange though. I have seen larger triggers like clowns and queens estimated up to almost 2ft yet nobody seems to have any near that large. Is it because nobody is keeping them that long? Pretty excited to get the humu now!

Dkuhlmann
09/04/2016, 07:14 AM
That Humu is an awesome looking fish. Live Aquaria has so when the small ones (1"-2") available now :dance: For only $29.99 :thumbsup:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+253&pcatid=253

cougareyes
09/04/2016, 07:59 AM
Think of it this way, in the wild they are like professional athletes; swimming as much as 40 miles a day through torrid currents, crunching shells and rock hunting, devouring mass quantities of food. Now consider their lifestyles in a home aquarium. You read alot of folklore on the internet, the truth is they mostly grow pretty slow with a few exceptions, and even in the largest home aquariums reach about 1/2 the listed max size you see. I have raised quite a few babies, tank raised triggers are far more behaved than wild caught. Well taken of triggers will live over 10 years in an adequate aquarium. The biggest key is not to crowd them. The pointy face trggers like the humu tend to mess with your inverts.

Notorious
09/04/2016, 11:41 AM
I have read they are super active in the wild but not so much in the home aquarium. I guess they adapt more or less to a more sedentary life style. I guess the least I can do is provide lots of water movement. Long Long term(after 5 or 6 years) he will definitely be in at least a 6ft tank. Perhaps I will make it a 180.

I am a cichlid guy and I love the big bruisers like dovii, midas, and jags. It seems the "wepet" idea is foreign in the saltwater realm. Everyone wants to keep a bunch of fish in a tank but in my experience, when it comes to the big guys they are far more interesting(and less of a headache) when given just a large home to themselves. I didn't think anything in SW would compare to the big CA cichlids but I would say triggers have at least matched them in personality and aggressiveness. I have no problem keeping this guy completely buy himself when he gets too mean. And the fact that he eats inverts is a plus to me. That means lots of cool feeders I can give him!

BigBlueTang
09/04/2016, 11:44 AM
That Humu is an awesome looking fish. Live Aquaria has so when the small ones (1"-2") available now :dance: For only $29.99 :thumbsup:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+253&pcatid=253

This is a great deal!!!

Only thing I would worry about is that the trigger guru, Humaguy himself, has had trouble with trigger's that size, as they require constant feeding.. Just putting that out there..

Notorious
09/04/2016, 12:24 PM
Yes I have read about that somewhere on here. Can someone elaborate? Is it like they need to be fed more times a day or what? Would it be better to get the 2-3in ones instead? They are only 10 dollars more...

cougareyes
09/04/2016, 12:49 PM
I feed my 1" triggers mostly twice a day, sometimes 3; my tank lights don't come on until 5:30 pm only on 5 hours. blues 1/2 hour before and after. So I only feed them a couple of times in that time range. I'm not sure how the info about needing to feed them so much is taught. I have literally raised about 10 baby triggers and after a few months they get fed once a day like all my fish. Even my big triggers get fed once a day, if I'm laying around I may treat them with chunks of something once or twice a week outside of their daily feeding. My babies have fat bellies and are not starving and they are growing, they eat at a normal response not ravenous so I know they are being satisfied. The size you choose will determine the tank size, a 1" humu could live a 40g easily for 3 years, a 3" humu you will need to start planning your next tank now.

Notorious
09/04/2016, 03:41 PM
Ill will probably get the 1in one now then. Again I am going to upgrade to at least a 75 by the end of next summer so he will have that 4ft footprint.

Thanks for all your help guys!

humaguy
09/04/2016, 08:48 PM
This is a great deal!!!

Only thing I would worry about is that the trigger guru, Humaguy himself, has had trouble with trigger's that size, as they require constant feeding.. Just putting that out there..

yeah, agree, tiny trigs, up until 1-1.25 inches, should be fed several times a day as their metabolic rate is so high...they are not tough to keep, just need to be fed almost constantly..

I do disagree with tank size, a 40g is too small...they become stir crazy and often manic...

Notorious
09/04/2016, 10:08 PM
yeah, agree, tiny trigs, up until 1-1.25 inches, should be fed several times a day as their metabolic rate is so high...they are not tough to keep, just need to be fed almost constantly..

I do disagree with tank size, a 40g is too small...they become stir crazy and often manic...

Hey Humaguy thanks for replying you are pretty much in every thread I have read on here about triggers. The 40B is meant to only be a growout tank unless you mean it is too small for even that? I can't imagine putting a 1in fish in a 75+ tank by itself. It would not be a long term home for him.

I cant think it could be worse than putting a 10in adult in a 6ft tank dimension wise?

Lukeh
09/05/2016, 12:01 AM
Last year I bought a huma huma that was tiny, about the size of a quarter. I had him for about 6 months and in that time period he grew to about 2-2 1/4 inches with a pot belly. I fed once or twice a day usually. Even at that small size he was a serious predator. He was very skilled at hunting hermit crabs and pulling other invertebrates out of live rock. I occasionally would feed live ghost shrimp which was fun to watch. I added a sand sifting goby and on day two the huma very violently killed it. He was also getting very aggressive towards my 5 inch blue jaw trigger. This behavior made me nervous so I ended up getting rid of him. But having him got me really interested in keeping one of the more aggressive triggers. A couple weeks ago I actually bought a small blue line trigger with the same goal in mind as you. To grow it up to a large show size and keep him in a large tank by himself. So far he's been allot more passive than the huma. Anyways good luck...post a picture when you get him.

humaguy
09/05/2016, 09:41 AM
Hey Humaguy thanks for replying you are pretty much in every thread I have read on here about triggers. The 40B is meant to only be a growout tank unless you mean it is too small for even that? I can't imagine putting a 1in fish in a 75+ tank by itself. It would not be a long term home for him.

I cant think it could be worse than putting a 10in adult in a 6ft tank dimension wise?

a 40g makes an okay qt for 8-10 weeks..I wouldn't use it longer than that... I add new fish to a 125 or 250 for a long qt and then add to dt...

humaguy
09/05/2016, 09:46 AM
Last year I bought a huma huma that was tiny, about the size of a quarter. I had him for about 6 months and in that time period he grew to about 2-2 1/4 inches with a pot belly. I fed once or twice a day usually. Even at that small size he was a serious predator. He was very skilled at hunting hermit crabs and pulling other invertebrates out of live rock. I occasionally would feed live ghost shrimp which was fun to watch. I added a sand sifting goby and on day two the huma very violently killed it. He was also getting very aggressive towards my 5 inch blue jaw trigger. This behavior made me nervous so I ended up getting rid of him. But having him got me really interested in keeping one of the more aggressive triggers. A couple weeks ago I actually bought a small blue line trigger with the same goal in mind as you. To grow it up to a large show size and keep him in a large tank by himself. So far he's been allot more passive than the huma. Anyways good luck...post a picture when you get him.

tiny trigs are about the size of a dime and really need to be fed almost around the clock. Rhinecanthus trigs can be quite aggressive, but overall, are not nearly as aggressive as a fuscus is.. fuscus get very aggressive and also grow much quicker than r trigs...keeping hermits crabs/shrimp with trigs is a good thing...they will eventually hunt them down, getting to act like the predators they are, and it gives them a nice snack...good luck!

Notorious
09/05/2016, 06:31 PM
After some thought I think I am going to get the trigger still and just aim for the tank upgrade to be in december.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Flaring Afro
09/05/2016, 07:42 PM
After some thought I think I am going to get the trigger still and just aim for the tank upgrade to be in december.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

PetSmart has had their 125G setup 50% off for at least the last couple of Black Friday's. I got mine last year for about $300. :thumbsup:

I just wish the stand were built so it could house a sump. I'm building my own and selling the one it came with for that reason.

cougareyes
09/06/2016, 10:45 AM
Wow, the trigger myths and folklore are out of control on this board. 1st off most triggers are pretty slow growers, at 1-1.5" even the niger trigger which is one of the fastest growers, grows just over a inch a year. My new blueline right now being feed a couple times a day has grown about a 1/4" in 4 months, my clown trigger even less, they are in the same 40g. I guess I was just lucky 30 years ago the internet experts weren't around. I fed my 1st trigger babies once a day, and have used 40g tanks as a grow out tank for a multitude of triggers. A 40 will be perfectly fine as a grow out tank for one or even two small triggers. It may take a humu 3 years to reach 2.5". I had one for over 10 years that reached about 6". My fish have all lived long and healthy lives, so i must be doing something right.

Notorious
09/06/2016, 01:02 PM
Well... I know Humu don't grow very large and they do grow slow so I will upgrade whenever he outgrows the tank if he does so before next summer. If he is still tiny by then I will just keep him in the 40 until he outgrows it.

kaz1961
09/06/2016, 02:18 PM
I love my Huma, he has a real personality. He eats anything, including pellets and flakes.