PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon 3 Speedy 230 watt question

mfinn
09/04/2016, 04:38 PM
Can a Red Dragon 3, 230 watt pump be used with all 1-1/2" pvc?
The closed loop piping is in, the suction bulkhead is a 1-1/2", so it really can't be changed.

slief
09/04/2016, 04:43 PM
I just replied to your other thread. Yes, it absolutely can. The output is 1.5" but the input in 2" so if your input line is also 1.5" you would be restricting it a bit and I wouldn't suggest running it at full power.

That said, you might consider the RD3 150. It has a 1.5" input and 1.25" output and will push upwards of 4700 GPH in a closed loop application. It's based on the same motor and controller as the RD3 230. It has a lower wattage power supply and different volute. Other than that, the block and controller are the same. It would save you a bit of money, match up to your plumbing sizes better and still provide more flow than you will ever likely need on your display.

mfinn
09/04/2016, 04:49 PM
I just replied to your other thread. Yes, it absolutely can. The output is 1.5" but the input in 2" so if your input line is also 1.5" you would be restricting it a bit and I wouldn't suggest running it at full power.

That said, you might consider the RD3 150. It has a 1.5" input and 1.25" output and will push upwards of 4700 GPH in a closed loop application. It's based on the same motor and controller as the RD3 230. It has a lower wattage power supply and different volute. Other than that, the block and controller are the same. It would save you a bit of money, match up to your plumbing sizes better and still provide more flow than you will ever likely need on your display.

SWEET!!!

That works for me.

There is alot of tech data available for these pumps. Even the decibel level, which is a big concern for me, as well as the flow.

Thanks

slief
09/04/2016, 04:59 PM
SWEET!!!

That works for me.

There is alot of tech data available for these pumps. Even the decibel level, which is a big concern for me, as well as the flow.

Thanks

These pumps are pretty much DEAD silent at any speed. I can guarantee it will be the quietest pump you have ever heard! I have two of the 230's on my tank. When I set my first one up on my closed loop, I thought it was dead until looked at the sand being blasted out from under my live rock. I was shocked at how quiet and powerful these pumps are. They also run cold to the touch. Pretty much all of the heat is transferred in the controller which is encased in an aluminum housing. I've been running these pumps for nearly a year and a half and absolutely love them.

Here is the spec sheet on the 230.
http://royalexclusiv.net/images/content/rd_3/eng/rd3_speedy_230_eng.pdf

Here is the spec sheet on the 150.
http://royalexclusiv.net/images/content/rd_3/eng/rd3_speedy_150_eng.pdf

Here is one of my 230's next to a Reeflo Hammerhead that it replaced along with a Reeflo Dart Gold that was also replaced my an RD3 230 on my system.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Pumps/image_zps7zwezfc8.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Pumps/image_zpsklcfyl0p.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Pumps/image_zpsvl46bikd.jpg

The pair of RD3 230's under my display.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Sump%20rr/image_zpszmp0h2qu.jpg

mfinn
09/05/2016, 09:12 AM
I think the 150 watt model is what I'm going to buy.
I looked around and couldn't find any Labor Day specials.

mfinn
09/05/2016, 10:02 AM
I just replied to your other thread. Yes, it absolutely can. The output is 1.5" but the input in 2" so if your input line is also 1.5"

Just some follow up questions.
On the specs for the 230 watt model, it says: intake side 2.5" (63 mm) - pressure side 2" (50 mm).

On the specs for the 150 watt model: Pressure side: 40 mm Intake side: 50 mm

I'm assuming that standard pvc sizes fit 40 mm and 50 mm?
Or are there adapters I need too?

ReefClownMIA
09/05/2016, 10:05 AM

On the specs for the 230 watt model, it says: intake side 2.5" (63 mm) - pressure side 2" (50 mm).

All pumps come with both Metric and Imperial bushings for the union connections. :)
No adapters needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slief
09/05/2016, 11:24 AM

As Marco said, they come with both metric and US imperial (inch size) fittings. On the RD3 230, The included US size intake bushing is a standard 2" female slip and the output bushing is a standard 1.5" female slip fitting. On the RD3 150, it's a standard 1.5" female slip for the intake and 1.25" for the output side.

mfinn
09/05/2016, 12:31 PM
As Marco said, they come with both metric and US imperial (inch size) fittings. On the RD3 230, The included US size intake bushing is a standard 2" female slip and the output bushing is a standard 1.5" female slip fitting. On the RD3 150, it's a standard 1.5" female slip for the intake and 1.25" for the output side.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Just a thought,,,, if I increase the out put side from the standard 1.25" to 1.5, I might see a small increase in flow. Maybe.

slief
09/05/2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Just a thought,,,, if I increase the out put side from the standard 1.25" to 1.5, I might see a small increase in flow. Maybe.

You can't change the fittings if that's what you are asking but keeping the plumbing size 1.5" does have it's benefits over going 1.25" the whole way. The 1.5" PVC will have less friction loss so I would go from the 1.25" fitting to a 1.5" union immediately after the pump. That said, the impeller spins at a nominal max speed so there is no way to increase the flow beyond it's rated max. Best you can do is minimize friction losses which the larger PVC will help with. I always try to oversize any plumbing lines that are long runs and also oversize the fittings in an effort to reduce friction loss. On my RD3 230's, I come out of the 1.5" fittings into a 2" union ball valve and run 2" lines all the way up to my 1" seaswirls on the return. My closed loop goes from 2" to a pair of 1" lines.