PDA

View Full Version : A case of the "who done it"

hotelbravo
09/04/2016, 06:43 PM
Last night some time something took a big chunk out of my female flame angel. She has been swimming in the same spot all day. She did not feed during feeding time.

So tank inhabitants are:
1 snowflake eel who has never bothered anything wont even eat live shrimp only eats frozen shrimp.

1 goldentail moray eel who just yesterday ate its first meal since i bought it. it ate 3 live shrimp and 1 live sand crab all from the feeding stick. So far the goldentail has shown no signs of aggression towards any fish at all.

1 niger trigger who has so far not bothered any fish but the bite marks lead me to believe its the prime candidate.

2 flame angels (1 female 1 male) obviously the female didnt do it to herself... they have never fought since ive had them.

others that i can probably rule out are:
2 clarkii clowns
4 chromis
1 bangai

any ideas as to who it might be based on the photo of the wound? KEEP IN MIND due to a combination of a crappy camera and an algae buildup on the glass the picture makes her look blotchy and sick but she does not look that way
Most importantly do yall think it can recover from this bad of a wound?

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/hotelbravo251/IMG_20160904_173756_zpsyt1tljhp.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/hotelbravo251/media/IMG_20160904_173756_zpsyt1tljhp.jpg.html)

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/hotelbravo251/IMG_20160904_173828_zpsdim6naac.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/hotelbravo251/media/IMG_20160904_173828_zpsdim6naac.jpg.html)

Dkuhlmann
09/05/2016, 05:49 AM
You have several possibilities of who done it but the main thing is to help her heal.

I would get and use both Melafix and Pimafix. Both totally reef safe and can be used at the same time. One kills the bacterial infection and the other promotes healing. Both are totally natural so not chemicals.

Marshall O
09/05/2016, 05:50 AM
Well that is certainly a nice chunk taken out. I would lean towards the Trigger based on the size/shape. I don't think an eel could do that. What size tank is this?

Also, someone else should confirm, but I would consider antibiotics. Seachem Kanaplex comes to mind, but you would need to put the Flame in a hospital tank.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Cliving1
09/05/2016, 06:15 AM
From the mark i dont think it was an eel. Depensing on their size, if they did get ahold not sure the flame would be abele to get away. At the same time, with eels I think its more common to find a fish missing though

hotelbravo
09/05/2016, 08:51 AM
You have several possibilities of who done it but the main thing is to help her heal.

I would get and use both Melafix and Pimafix. Both totally reef safe and can be used at the same time. One kills the bacterial infection and the other promotes healing. Both are totally natural so not chemicals.

I added melafix last night it was the only one i had on hand but unfortunately this morning she was dead.

Well that is certainly a nice chunk taken out. I would lean towards the Trigger based on the size/shape. I don't think an eel could do that. What size tank is this?

Also, someone else should confirm, but I would consider antibiotics. Seachem Kanaplex comes to mind, but you would need to put the Flame in a hospital tank.

I was thinking it was the trigger too but last night watching the flame struggle to swim around the trigger seemed to be guarding her and wouldnt let fish come near her. he sat right next to her until she finally stopped swimming and died and he did not nip or anything..
oh and the tank size is a 180 gallon

From the mark i dont think it was an eel. Depensing on their size, if they did get ahold not sure the flame would be abele to get away. At the same time, with eels I think its more common to find a fish missing though

i agree, i dont see my large goldentail moray putting that tiny of a bite into the fish let alone letting the fish get away.

Dkuhlmann
09/05/2016, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost her.

Sk8r
09/05/2016, 09:07 AM
Clarkii bite is rounder and not as powerful: I saw it a lot on my arm, when I had a pair. I also lean to the trigger.

Fish may show absolutely no aggression until they feel 'at home' and until they suddenly feel the area is a little crowded.

humaguy
09/05/2016, 09:28 AM
how big is the niger?

I am going to go against the grain. It kind of looks like the eel got it with only half of its mouth...the trig would have easily bitten through the spines that are visible, they tend to remove entire chunks, not sure why those spines would not have been bitten off with the flesh...

Marshall O
09/05/2016, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear you lost it 🙁

hotelbravo
09/05/2016, 04:11 PM
The Niger trigger is still a pretty small trigger maybe 3 inches.