PDA

View Full Version : Spionid Worms on Corals.What to do?

LennytheBlennie
09/04/2016, 08:20 PM
I am starting to try my hand at SPS. I purchased a couple of frag packs from a reputable e-tailer. They are in my quarantine tank. I noticed that the Montipora Digitata had a several of spots and two V shaped antenna coming out of them. I did some research and they are definitely Spionid worms. There are 5 or 6 of them on the one frag and now there is one on the neighboring birds nest. I don't want them to spread and infest my corals. Is there a way to get rid of them? Would dipping work? Should I even worry about them? Should I scrap the one coral that has the most? I am not really sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

thegrun
09/04/2016, 10:28 PM
I would generally consider them a beneficial filter feeder, but in some cases they can irritate corals. If you wish you can carefully scrape them off the corals.

starkii
09/05/2016, 04:09 AM
More often on corals you find coral barnacles but if they are spionid worms then the advice is the same. They are harmless filter feeders and a natural animal found in corals. If there isn't enough food they will die off and likely be overgrown by the corals tissue.

LennytheBlennie
09/05/2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will leave them be and keep on eye on the population. I am not feeding that tank much since there are no fish in there at the moment, so hopefully there won't be too many of them.