PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Corals

MSnewbie
09/05/2016, 07:57 PM
Taking a business trip to St Louis over weekend. Plan on buying a few corals. I ll be buying them on Saturday possibly Sunday, but won't be driving back till Monday. What's best way to transport. Commute will be 6-7 hours back. Thanks in advance.

Ron Reefman
09/06/2016, 06:21 AM
Buying on Saturday and not getting home until Monday isn't the best of situations for the coral in a bag.

Ask the seller to sell you some saltwater and put it in a small cooler with a battery powered bubbler. Then put the corals (no bag) in the cooler. More water, insulated from heat or cold and new air into the water are all better for the coral. And pay attention to the water temp. The bubbler is putting outside air into the water and is changing the temp of the water faster than it would if it was just sitting in the cooler.

I had 85F water from the ocean in a big cooler with some things I had collected. I brought them into my room over night and the room temp was about 74F. In the morning, 10 hours after I brought them in, the water temp was 75F. Now I take a small heater with me as well!

Good luck.

billdogg
09/06/2016, 08:50 AM
can you pick them up monday on your way home? otherwise, what ron said