PDA

View Full Version : I know there are a million high nitrate threads but...

sappho
09/05/2016, 08:32 PM
I have not found a satisfactory answer to my question: is there an effective way to use seachem denitrate in a tank? I have a simple 55 gal and I can't use an external coil or filter. Can I put the denitrate in a bottle or container in my tank that would limit the oxygen? Is there a way to do this in a safe and low tech way? I'm doing the usual water changes and maintenance, I just need a little extra help to keep the nitrates low.

djbon
09/05/2016, 08:35 PM
You can follow my design if you are interested.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2587610

nmotz
09/05/2016, 10:29 PM
You can try dosing vinegar too...worked for me

bertoni
09/06/2016, 11:29 AM
The SeaChem product doesn't need to be kept in a container. It functions as artificial live rock. It'll likely take a lot of media, from what the fish breeders would say.

jurgenph
09/06/2016, 11:45 AM
or you could use seachem matrix instead. it's pretty much the same thing, but larger "rocks" so it doesn't require such a slow flow through rate.

J.

sappho
09/06/2016, 01:31 PM
This is some great info thanks!

Keelo
09/07/2016, 01:34 PM
I would just scrap that idea and dose a carbon source. Check out my thread I'm battling high nitrates as well and I dose Red Sea no3po4 x so far so good. If you want it to be low maintenance get a dosing pump and your good to go. For your tank a bottle would last a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jurgenph
09/07/2016, 02:16 PM
You can try dosing vinegar too...worked for me

I would just scrap that idea and dose a carbon source. Check out my thread I'm battling high nitrates as well and I dose Red Sea no3po4 x so far so good. If you want it to be low maintenance get a dosing pump and your good to go. For your tank a bottle would last a very long time.

not knowing if the OP is running a skimmer or not, dosing carbon may be counter productive.

J.

Keelo
09/07/2016, 03:38 PM
Oh yea then in that case I wouldn't dose any carbon to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmz
09/09/2016, 12:13 PM
Organic carbon dosing ,though I prefer it for my main sytem , isn't necessarily the best or easiest option for every tank. I"ve used the seachem matrix pebbles in some cases even some with carbon dosing in play: it's very porous affording lot's of low flow areas for anaerobic NO3 reduction. The dientrate product is just smaller requiring some cantainment like a cansiter filter tray or mesh bag in an area with adequate flow.