PDA

View Full Version : HW Marine low alk?

texdoc77
09/06/2016, 08:07 AM
Started the reef mature pro kit this morning to cycle my tank. I had started it with water last weekend and have the sump and skimmer going. I used HW Marinemix reefer sand. When I went to check my KH it read very low, like one drop turned it to red with my red sea test kit. Same thing with my API. I checked the kits against my old tank and there is plenty of KH there. MarineMix is supposed to have 9.0 KH. Tank has 1.025 specific gravity, temp is 80 and pH is 8.2...

Went ahead and dosed the coralline grow as per instructions, but that seems low to me, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

mcgyvr
09/06/2016, 08:30 AM
What is low? (like one drop.. or actually one drop)
That salt should mix out to 9 as stated..

I believe the red sea test goes blue first then red right?
Maybe you got a bad batch of salt? Maybe SG isn't right..
Maybe one of those chemicals is throwing off the test..

texdoc77
09/06/2016, 09:20 AM
What is low? (like one drop.. or actually one drop)
That salt should mix out to 9 as stated..

I believe the red sea test goes blue first then red right?
Maybe you got a bad batch of salt? Maybe SG isn't right..
Maybe one of those chemicals is throwing off the test..

One drop, both tests, red sea and API, turned pale yellow on the first drop of test reagent. Yes, blue then red for red sea and API but if very low if it goes straight to yellow. Maybe it was a bad batch of salt, I don't have any more to test, its all in the tank. I do have another box though... I tested prior to adding any of the new chemicals. SG was checked with refractometer, and again with hydrometer and based on how much salt I added to the tank, it is right at 1.025...

neiltus
09/06/2016, 10:07 AM
I would get another kit. My HW reef tests above 8.

mcgyvr
09/06/2016, 10:13 AM
I do have another box though...

Mix up a little bit and check from the new box..

If 2 kits are agreeing I don't see the point in trying another test kit.. Assuming it checks out properly with the other new box of salt..

texdoc77
09/06/2016, 06:26 PM
OK, not sure what happened but this evening when I got home the KH was just fine with my API test. did not retest with the redsea kit as that is a little more involved. I did pull water from the DT instead of the sump. That should not make a difference but who knows. Thanks for everyones input, just did not make sense.

mcgyvr
09/06/2016, 06:30 PM
Glad you got it sorted out..
"Stuff" happens..