PDA

View Full Version : How long should vinegar dry before it can go back in aquarium?

UncleSalt
09/06/2016, 06:25 PM
My wife has a 20L that she's neglected. It's started to grow some serious GHA in the HOB filter. I want to pull the HOB off and disinfect it before returning it. I've used bleach and vinegar before, but they've always sat for months before returning.

I need to do this fairly quickly as the GHA is starting to take on some of the rocks. Once I fix the filter, i'll go in and fix the rocks.

So my question, assuming vinegar is best, how long should I sit the filter in it, before I can safely return it to the aquarium?!

mcgyvr
09/06/2016, 06:34 PM
Vinegar/scrubbing is just fine and it can be immediately just shaken dry and put back in the tank..

Wait till you find out that tons of us actually add vinegar to our tanks daily as a carbon source to promote bacterial growth to reduce nitrates,etc...

A soak in hydrogen peroxide will kill the algae and just a good rinse in water then shaken dry again will be just fine too..

The same cannot be said for ammonia/bleach.. Don't use them..

HurseMaGurse
09/06/2016, 06:34 PM
Use vinegar and let it soak overnight. 1:1 water to vinegar should be good. Rinse in hot water with dechlorinator. Good to go.

no1bubba
09/06/2016, 08:06 PM
Where and when do you add it

Breadman03
09/06/2016, 10:20 PM

If you mean adding vinegar to reduces nitrates, search "carbon dosing site:ReefCentral.com" and you'll have hours of reading material. :)

Bent
09/07/2016, 05:16 AM
My wife has a 20L that she's neglected. It's started to grow some serious GHA in the HOB filter. I want to pull the HOB off and disinfect it before returning it. I've used bleach and vinegar before, but they've always sat for months before returning.

I need to do this fairly quickly as the GHA is starting to take on some of the rocks. Once I fix the filter, i'll go in and fix the rocks.

So my question, assuming vinegar is best, how long should I sit the filter in it, before I can safely return it to the aquarium?!

I add 4ml/Hr of vinegar to my system 24hrs a day, 7days a week.

sde1500
09/07/2016, 06:50 AM

I don't think enough people dose peroxide to have a hard and fast number for it. There is a long discussion on one of the nano tank forums about it, not able to find the link just now. I've dosed it a few times, really does do well at fighting off algae. Though some corals are unhappy for a few days after adding.

Breadman03
09/07/2016, 07:01 AM

lol, the post headline didn't show in Tapatalk, so I didn't know what you were referencing.

1ml of 3% peroxide per 10 gallons is a common level I've seen referenced on another forum.

mcgyvr
09/07/2016, 08:06 AM
While I will recommend adding peroxide to tank water in a separate bowl during manual scrubbing of a rock removed from the tank to remove hair algae I would never recommend adding/dosing it to a tank unless you know for certain that all inhabitants will not be effected by it.. (aka.. HIGHLY skilled/knowledgeable users only.. if that)
Some corals can "take it" others will NOT like it at all..

Solve the real problem.. Don't cover it up with peroxide dosing.. Its just not needed and is a lazy fix..