PDA

View Full Version : Will silicone adhere to reef rock?

kaz1961
09/07/2016, 06:45 AM
I am stacking up a few rocks and while they seem stable I would like to use something to bond them just to be safe. I have almost a full tube of aquarium sealant that I could use. Does anyone know if it will stick to the rocks? Tried doing a search but couldnt find an answer.

mcgyvr
09/07/2016, 08:15 AM
It will work some.. Good enough to keep the rocks "more stable" but not sufficient as an adhesive IMO.. aka don't try to make a cantilevered ledge or anything with it..

But the rock is usually porous/roughed up enough that silicone will work to a point..

CafeReef
09/07/2016, 08:37 AM
I used it on some of my branch rock that I have. My scape is two tall piles of rubble creating a "canyon" of sorts, with branch rock laying over the top of it. I used the silicone to hold them in place, but I can easily move them, it just keeps my CuC from potentially moving them.

LXXero
09/07/2016, 12:21 PM
ive had good luck with superglue. Seachem even sells their own branded version, but its just the "gel" style superglue.

ThRoewer
09/07/2016, 01:37 PM
For silicone to adhere to anything other than glass you need a suitable primer. With the right primer silicone will adhere to pretty much everything.

But for rocks I found superglue to do the job just fine.

kaz1961
09/07/2016, 02:46 PM
I am building up some rocks and I used a wet saw to make ledges for the rocks to sit on each other. They are really stable and I probably dont need to adhere them but I just want to be extra safe. Anyone know which brands of superglue are safe?

mcgyvr
09/07/2016, 03:18 PM
Anyone know which brands of superglue are safe?

All of them more than likely.. assuming its a high percentage (95%+) of cyanoacrylate.. (check msds if unsure)

billdogg
09/08/2016, 10:33 AM
All of them more than likely.. assuming its a high percentage (95%+) of cyanoacrylate.. (check msds if unsure)

Every brand I have ever used has worked so far. I prefer the gel.

kaz1961
09/08/2016, 01:42 PM
Every brand I have ever used has worked so far. I prefer the gel.

OK, thanks.

ravi197699
09/09/2016, 06:03 AM
you can try to use GEs IRON GRIP version 100% silicone, watch their video, they applied this silicone on the cinder block and then sat another cinder block on top of it and waited 17 seconds and they were able to lift the cinder blocks by holding the top one, pretty good stuff..

uncleof6
09/09/2016, 08:51 PM
you can try to use GEs IRON GRIP version 100% silicone, watch their video, they applied this silicone on the cinder block and then sat another cinder block on top of it and waited 17 seconds and they were able to lift the cinder blocks by holding the top one, pretty good stuff..

According to the product data, this product is unsuitable for applications which will be in continuous contact with water. Pretty much standard for any silicone product. Structural silicone seams in an aqaurium, are protected from such contact by an "inner seal."