PDA

View Full Version : Chaetodontoplus duboulayi - Scribbled Angel

RDtrack
09/07/2016, 02:49 PM
So question.

I have a big beautiful scribbled that's been in my main display for three weeks.

For three weeks he (believe it's a juv. male) he has swam all over the place. However recently he has started to just hang out in the back of the tank. Almost hovering in one spot.

When I feed the tank he swims over and eats but then goes back to his hang out or hides behind a rock.

He's the largest fish in the tank so I doubt he is being bullied.

Any thoughts should I be worried?

ThRoewer
09/08/2016, 04:39 AM
How did you quarantine it?

Being the largest fish in the tank does not protect from being bullied or attacked. A small, fast fish can do a hit and run blitz-attack before the big fish even realizes what's going on.
Also sometimes being extra mean compensates for size.

Dmorty217
09/08/2016, 09:13 AM
Notice any head shaking or strange mouth movements when the fish isn't eating? What other angels, tangs or butterflies are in the tank with it?

pinnatus
09/08/2016, 03:40 PM
Is he breathing fast? Could be signs of ick.

RDtrack
09/08/2016, 04:05 PM
Sorry no I QT/TT for two weeks with a treatment of Prazipro for preventative. Finished off with a fresh water dip.

He showed no signs of anything in QT.

So I've had him 5 weeks going on 6. The first three weeks he was always out and about.

Just recently he started this hovering thing.

He's in a tank with a trio of pyramids, pair of jocs, my gem tang and a hippo. Those are the largest of the group and they are all half his size.

He eats fine. Swims out eats aggressively. But then goes back to hovering...

I've just never had a fish act this way.

Maybe it's just because he was so active the first three weeks the display.

snorvich
09/08/2016, 04:17 PM
Sorry no I QT/TT for two weeks with a treatment of Prazipro for preventative. Finished off with a fresh water dip.

He showed no signs of anything in QT.

So I've had him 5 weeks going on 6. The first three weeks he was always out and about.

Just recently he started this hovering thing.

He's in a tank with a trio of pyramids, pair of jocs, my gem tang and a hippo. Those are the largest of the group and they are all half his size.

He eats fine. Swims out eats aggressively. But then goes back to hovering...

I've just never had a fish act this way.

Maybe it's just because he was so active the first three weeks the display.

The time line is concerning especially so with an inadequate quarantine protocol,

RDtrack
09/08/2016, 05:22 PM
The time line is concerning especially so with an inadequate quarantine protocol,
Understand you think the QT is inadequate but I've had issues with perfectly healthy fish dieing once they hit a display tank because they get unaccustomed to other fish being around. I think QTing for 8 to 10 weekd is too long.

I don't know, I know that I'm probably more quick on releasing a fish from QT based on my past experience.

Now if a fish develops issues while in QT then I'll treat and it will be longer.

Marshall O
09/08/2016, 07:23 PM
How is it's breathing? I get very nervous when a fish drastically changes its behavior, especially when it hides all day. Usually that's due to either being bullied, or worse, disease. I would be just as nervous as you are if I were in your shoes.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

RDtrack
09/08/2016, 10:00 PM
How is it's breathing? I get very nervous when a fish drastically changes its behavior, especially when it hides all day. Usually that's due to either being bullied, or worse, disease. I would be just as nervous as you are if I were in your shoes.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
It's breathing is good. I've had unfortunately plenty of experiences with losing fish. It's just that this is weird.

Also I've been paying for agression and have seen any.

It's not like he is hiding, sometimes he is but more like just hovering one or two areas.

Oh we'll see what happens. I was more curious if this is normal behavior for a scribbled.

Dmorty217
09/09/2016, 11:29 AM
My gem won't leave the one scribbled in my DT alone even though there is plenty of rock and space in the tank. Its so bad that the second scribbled I have had to be moved to the sump because the gem would bully that one constantly too. If you have the same issue as me it should be pretty obvious though, being that you haven't seen the aggression I would be leaning more toward something disease related. Hovering IME has always meant flukes

RDtrack
10/08/2016, 02:51 PM
Just wanted to provide an update no worries. He is back swimming around normal as normal can be. Was doing tbe hovering thing for about a week before it quit it.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk