PDA

View Full Version : One or two clowns?

kaz1961
09/07/2016, 02:51 PM
I would like to add a clown or two to my 150. I have read through some posts about them possibly pairing up their aggression to one another if they dont. I really hate when fish fight so I am leaning towards a single clown. I guess the question is, will a single clown thrive without a mate or would having two be better for the clowns?

raythepilot
09/07/2016, 03:08 PM
Get two small fish and they will almost certainly become a pair. The bigger and more aggressive becomes the female and the smaller the male.

Fiver
09/07/2016, 04:11 PM
A pair of clowns look nice, interact with each other and encourages natural behavior. There's a thread on the forum about keeping fish in pairs or groups, and I think it makes many good points about how doing so allows fish to display interesting behaviors we wouldn't see if they were kept singly.

kaz1961
09/08/2016, 09:13 AM
OK, I will give two a try. Thanks for the replies.

ThRoewer
09/08/2016, 01:41 PM
Clownfish should always be kept in pairs (same for many other fish as well).
Pairing them is easy if you do it right: one larger and the other clearly smaller.
I never had fighting and almost all I paired up got along instantly.
I have only wild clownfish (with one exception), but it works for captive bred as well, just try to avoid to get 2 of equal size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kaz1961
09/09/2016, 06:53 PM
Clownfish should always be kept in pairs (same for many other fish as well).
Pairing them is easy if you do it right: one larger and the other clearly smaller.
I never had fighting and almost all I paired up got along instantly.
I have only wild clownfish (with one exception), but it works for captive bred as well, just try to avoid to get 2 of equal size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One big, one small. Got it, thanks.