PDA

View Full Version : HVAC And salt water?

Cammunoz
09/08/2016, 05:08 PM
So after building a new DIY stand for for my 90 and it been done i came across a problem....[emoji19] I realized my sump will be next to my HVAC intake I have read that the moisture from the tanks and or "salt" in the air can coorode an A/C furnace..... problem is I have no where to put it now my plans are on hold.....Anyone have knowledge of this ill include picshttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160908/ed08c143586e646f088a47487183363b.jpg the new stand was made bigger then the tank and will cover the intake. I noticed part of the intake screen has rusted any help appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
09/09/2016, 10:48 AM
Probably not an issue at all IMO..
Is localized humidity (right in front of the grille) anywhere close to 75-90%.. doubt it..

Desert Sea
09/09/2016, 01:46 PM
Probably not an issue at all IMO..
Is localized humidity (right in front of the grille) anywhere close to 75-90%.. doubt it..

+1

I agree. Should not be an issue. Remember the salt doesn't evaporate so any evaporation should be just water and that gets dispersed through out the whole room(s).

Cammunoz
09/09/2016, 04:42 PM
ok thanks alot for the replies

t81rd
09/09/2016, 09:11 PM
I'd be more concerned about covering the r/a grill. The furnace needs to breathe or you could cause issues with overheating in the winter and freezing in the summer. Is the furnace on the other side if that wall or is it elsewhere. That grill has a filter in it so I am assuming it's on the other side of the wall and that it is the only return. As far as the evaporation I wouldn't be too concerned personally

Cammunoz
09/09/2016, 09:17 PM
yeah its right on the other side so do i just have it sit off the wall?

mcgyvr
09/10/2016, 02:37 PM
Wait.. so thats not the new/final stand? and you are saying its going to cover the return completely? I missed that part..

Not a good idea.. you will need to leave a 6" gap or more..

Sk8r
09/10/2016, 04:14 PM
Most of your evap will be from the sump. If you put a very gentle!!! fan in the sump area blowing the other direction, out the other side of the back, you will increase evap, good for dosing via the ato (kalk) and simultaneously keep the most of it going the other way.

Cammunoz
09/11/2016, 11:24 AM
Mcgyvr yes for the final stand i plan on having it sit off the wall?

Land_shark067
09/21/2016, 11:11 AM
I work as an HVAC Mechanical engineer and i can say you are totally ok with the pictured set up but if your new stand goes in front of the return you will not want to block your return even with a gap and you should consider a different place for the tank

OR it would only cost a couple hundred to get a professional to move the intake for the furnace. look in the furnace room and see if you can think of a new good/easy/centrally located place for the furnace intake. then just call and ask for a quote to move it. worst comes to worse you could move the intake to high in the room near ceiling above the tank but you would do much better moving it away from the tank. both for the tank safety and your furnaces (just think if you go to replace the filter and that gross dust falls into the tank!!) if you are building a big tank then I hope you own the house so you can do this and if you are building your dream tank and doing it right and you are moving the duct you could even have an electrician place a new breaker with some GFI outlets on the wall for your tank since they will have to do drywall work. It would be an investment but your tank and your furnace would be much more successful if you did. oh but you would want to move the existing tank before they start work which you would have to do anyway if the new tank is going in this location.

just trying to help brain storm some ideas for you. know this one is extreme but compared to the overall cost of new tank and set up. moving a return grille location is not unreasonable.

Good luck!

Digitalelectric
09/21/2016, 11:37 AM
I live in Florida near the beach full of salt air and my house before my tank regularly runs 80% humidity in the summer. If that doesn't kill the AC unit before its lifetime then your tank won't.

Edit: Don't block your return.

Cammunoz
09/21/2016, 01:43 PM
I work as an HVAC Mechanical engineer and i can say you are totally ok with the pictured set up but if your new stand goes in front of the return you will not want to block your return even with a gap and you should consider a different place for the tank

OR it would only cost a couple hundred to get a professional to move the intake for the furnace. look in the furnace room and see if you can think of a new good/easy/centrally located place for the furnace intake. then just call and ask for a quote to move it. worst comes to worse you could move the intake to high in the room near ceiling above the tank but you would do much better moving it away from the tank. both for the tank safety and your furnaces (just think if you go to replace the filter and that gross dust falls into the tank!!) if you are building a big tank then I hope you own the house so you can do this and if you are building your dream tank and doing it right and you are moving the duct you could even have an electrician place a new breaker with some GFI outlets on the wall for your tank since they will have to do drywall work. It would be an investment but your tank and your furnace would be much more successful if you did. oh but you would want to move the existing tank before they start work which you would have to do anyway if the new tank is going in this location.

just trying to help brain storm some ideas for you. know this one is extreme but compared to the overall cost of new tank and set up. moving a return grille location is not unreasonable.

Good luck!

Thanks alot heres what i did what you think?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/7b0eb0010afe7c7f73046e38b8931f96.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/18be179954b0e7fdfdaa34cfdde9852f.jpg

Cammunoz
09/21/2016, 01:44 PM
thats where the return ishttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/d2547bbc013d44ecc483912d0c85b93e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/632dd32a756109bb267c8eb9138f4e26.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/d4cd0b4be00bf9dd18be9db19eb13740.jpg

Land_shark067
09/22/2016, 08:46 AM
I don't think you will have any major problems just keep that right area clear and i cant tell if you have it already but put a divider/block between the sump area and your open right side. Besides that it looks like while its not optimal, it will totally work and shouldnt be a problem.

Also tank looks pretty sweet!

TheFishGuy31
09/22/2016, 10:34 AM
Very neat solution!

Joey_bananas420
09/29/2016, 12:15 PM
I'm a qualified hvac professional. In the business for 15 years. If you just get the thick pleated filters for filtering out allergens and just change it more often if you notice it getting damp.

Cammunoz
10/06/2016, 06:54 PM
awesome thanks!