PDA

View Full Version : ATI sunpower fan troubleshooting/caught fire

ksicard
09/08/2016, 05:17 PM
My fan stopped working last week and after e-mailing ATI they recommended a new power adapter, which I purchased. I installed the new adapter and still the fan wasn't working so I started troubleshooting the issue myself. I cleaned the fan with air duster to make sure that wasn't an issue. I also pulled the fan out and made sure the positive and negative wires weren't disconnected. I actually hard wired the fan since the clips that come stock tend to fail. Still the fan wasn't working. I hopped online and decided to test the fan with a 9v battery so I don't purchase a new fan and that end up not fixing the issue. I put the pos/neg wires on the battery and the fan started spinning, but at the same time the fan started smoking. I could see embers burning in the center of the fan, it actually burnt through the plastic and made a hole in the fan.

So after all this I tossed the fan and I'm about to order a new one. I think the wires inside the fan may be messed up and thats what the issue was. I wanted to throw up a post and see if anyone had a similar issue. I'm concerned that if I plug up a new fan maybe something inside the sunpower fixture is broken. I don't want to buy a new fan only to ruin it by hooking it up. So if anyone can confirm that the burning was the result of the fan and not the wiring inside the fixture itself I would much appreciate it.

HippieSmell
09/09/2016, 09:07 AM
Aren't fans like, $5? Also, don't spin fans using compressed air. It actually generates current and can damage sensitive electronics. Keep a finger on the fan so it doesn't spin. Not saying that's what you did, just FYI.

ksicard
09/09/2016, 05:07 PM
There $21 after shipping. I mainly just dont want to keep running the fixture without a fan for an extended period of time.

wcharon
12/11/2017, 05:33 PM
This is a old thread but I am having the same issue and it is not the fan and the voltage is getting to the connectors.

@ksicard did you problem was the fan or something else? I think there is something inside the unit to activate the fan.

Thanks in advance...