PDA

View Full Version : Fish store recommendation central coast, CA

Bishopsnet
09/09/2016, 11:40 AM
Hey everyone. Just bought a jbj 28g nano, then decided to move to Paso Robles. Where should I go to setup my tank?

ssick92
09/09/2016, 02:15 PM
I went to Cal Poly and always went to Tropics because it was right down the street. They are a tiny shop, but always great customer service and usually have great corals, some nice fish, but not a very large selection. I would typically order my equipment from MD, but they can also order any equipment you need. There is also a much bigger place called Fins N' Critters down in Orcutt, but it is pretty far away. They have a much larger selection, but not always the best quality. Both places had pretty competitive pricing...

Also, when I was up there, I was on Central Coast Reef Keepers (http://www.centralcoastreefkeepers.com/) which is a decently active forum for the Central Coast.

Beautiful area, wish I was still there... But can't complain about being in Orange County either :)

BIGCYCS805
09/09/2016, 02:43 PM
Hey everyone. Just bought a jbj 28g nano, then decided to move to Paso Robles. Where should I go to setup my tank?
Welcome im in atascadero so not far from ya although tropics is closer my fish spot of choice is in orcutt "fins and critters" decent prices very good selection of fish and corals they are very knowledgable and tanks look very clean and happy so dont mind taking the drive as i know ill be happier with my purchases and i get to stop in santa maria amd get the carne asada taco on at Vallarta's headed there this weekend if time allows woowoo

Bishopsnet
09/09/2016, 03:10 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys. I went to the Pet Dept. In Paso today and the tanks look horrible. They don't have a dedicated fish person. Just random workers maintaining the tanks. Looks like I'm heading out of town. I'll be going to get my live rock, water and sand in early October to start cycling. Does tropics have adequate supplies for that or should I drive over to Orcutt? I'm new to the hobby BTW.

ssick92
09/09/2016, 03:23 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys. I went to the Pet Dept. In Paso today and the tanks look horrible. They don't have a dedicated fish person. Just random workers maintaining the tanks. Looks like I'm heading out of town. I'll be going to get my live rock, water and sand in early October to start cycling. Does tropics have adequate supplies for that or should I drive over to Orcutt? I'm new to the hobby BTW.

Tropics has a fairly large tank of live rock and should be able to supply plenty of water. I have to assume they have some live sand there too but if you are looking for something specific I would call them ahead of time or just order it online yourself.

FYI - When I was getting livestock from either Tropics or Fins 'N Critters, I never had any pest issues, but after I moved down to Orange County it seems like every frag I get has some pest on it... Point being, they both have quality tanks with good livestock options, but 1 is a large store, and 1 is a small hole in the wall shop.

Bishopsnet
10/10/2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I went over to Tropics. I'll be getting my live rock and sand there in November.