PDA

View Full Version : 30g FOWLR stocking questions

Amika
09/09/2016, 07:05 PM
Hello. I have a 30g fowlr that has been set up approximately 2 months. It is cycled and has approximately 10 pounds live rock and 10 pounds dry rock.

I have two juvie clownfish at the moment and made a trip to my lfs to decide what else I would like.

I decided on a Royal Dottyback and 3 Blue Damsels. Before I purchase them, I want to do research on them. See their foods, temperments, etc.

Do you guys think these are good tankmates for my two clownfish? (I will research more if they are good tankmates)

Thanks.

Flaring Afro
09/09/2016, 11:48 PM
That's a very aggressive tank. Clown fish are damsels and they all will end up fighting and killing each other in such a small tank - especially with blue damsels which are some of the most aggressive damsels out there. I'm not sure what the royal dottyback is, but it's likely a royal gramma, bi-color pseudochromis , or a blue eye royal dottyback. All can be problems, the royal gramma would probably be well behaved if you aren't adding much else.

Also, what clowns did you get? Some get way too big for a 30, but the common orange types should be OK.

boshk
09/10/2016, 03:25 AM
Hello. I have a 30g fowlr that has been set up approximately 2 months. It is cycled and has approximately 10 pounds live rock and 10 pounds dry rock.

I have two juvie clownfish at the moment and made a trip to my lfs to decide what else I would like.

I decided on a Royal Dottyback and 3 Blue Damsels. Before I purchase them, I want to do research on them. See their foods, temperments, etc.

Do you guys think these are good tankmates for my two clownfish? (I will research more if they are good tankmates)

Thanks.

Damsel are aggressive.
I have a 35G and I had to catch and put my Yellowtail damselfish in my sump, its cruel I know. Trying to give him away now to someone with a much bigger tank.

He basically harassed my Firefish, Clown goby and yellow watchman goby. Tried it a couple of times on the black saddleback clownfish but didnt work.

jraker
09/11/2016, 01:35 PM
I would get a valentini puffer and maybe a hawkfish. Forget the damsels and dottyback, you will have too many aggression issues.

Amika
09/11/2016, 08:32 PM
Okay. Dottyback and damsels are no go's. I got ocellaris clownfish. Both are juvenile right now. Less than an inch approx.

I will look into hawkish and valentini puffers.

I checked liveaquaria and saw damsels and dottyback are listed as semi aggressive. As long as I get one that has a peaceful temperament it should be good?

Flaring Afro
09/11/2016, 08:57 PM
Okay. Dottyback and damsels are no go's. I got ocellaris clownfish. Both are juvenile right now. Less than an inch approx.

I will look into hawkish and valentini puffers.

I checked liveaquaria and saw damsels and dottyback are listed as semi aggressive. As long as I get one that has a peaceful temperament it should be good?

They all can get aggressive as they age, even if they aren't while young, but you just can't in that size of a tank. Damsels (and most saltwater fish) don't get along with their own kind and are very territorial in an aquarium. Since clown fish are damsels, either the "damsel" or the clowns will likely be killed by the other.

If you want a blue fish, blue gudgeon dartfish often are electric blue when they aren't stressed. They are pretty shy and have a hard time adjusting to the aquarium though so I'd only get one that's out and unafraid at a fish store. I also believe they also do better in groups.

jraker
09/11/2016, 09:13 PM
It depends on the dottyback or damsel you want to add. Something like an orchid dotty or a starcki damsel would be non aggressive. I would just add it last.

SnoopyDaPimp
09/12/2016, 05:04 PM
A lot of people don't like them but my six line wrasse has been really good in my FOWLR.

My yellow tail damsel has convinced me that I will never get another damsel. Really aggressive towards everything in my tank except for my zebra eel. Even with the eel the damsel will try to swoop in and take the food off the feeding stick.

Flaring Afro
09/12/2016, 07:32 PM
A lot of people don't like them but my six line wrasse has been really good in my FOWLR.

They very often are fine with fish that were added before them, it's just the newcomers that get bullied (in general). Like other fish, that's only once they hit a certain age too.