PDA

View Full Version : Mr dual clogs to a trickle within days wasting a lot of ROX CARVON and GFO

Gopmatt
09/09/2016, 10:13 PM
I use BRS ROX 0.8 AND BRS gfo. Within 2 days I either have to increase for to the max then after a day I have to b take it own by then it's filled with any kind if gunk and have to replace it.. it seems that donut ring that goes above and below the Mejias USD pointless.. I clean the screens all the time... I'm using the chivalry mj1200. Its about 2ft from my reactor and even level with the housing so there yang much upward travel... What can I do I read cutting out the screens but it seems the donut shaowd filters are brown being belief or black i dint know how much more cleanings they can take... I love spectrapure I have the 90god rodi unit have been using for # years not one issue. Even bought the booster pump.,

SpectraPure
09/21/2016, 05:56 PM
Do you pre-rinse your media before installing?

Jeremy

Gopmatt
09/21/2016, 06:19 PM
Yes I rinse it too much almost to the point where I only have half of what I started leftover and have to rinse more.... I had to start issuing other company's plastic media holder things cuz it seems the ones I bought with your product were junk :( the sponges literally were in tatters almost immediately... To bad because it's a very nice product. I even shortened the lines and put a prefilter on the pump (I have the pump that's recommended to buy with it I forget the name off hand)

SpectraPure
09/22/2016, 11:01 PM
Actually those shells are the best on the market. It's unfortunate that they did not work well for you. Normally I spray mine out to clear the clog. The fine pads we use actually keeps media in unlike most other ones out there. Those shells are designed to be cleaned with a sprayer, and a small brush. I am very sorry it didn't work out well for you.

I cant imagine another companies shells don't clog unless they pass through media. That's kind of like a sediment filter not clogging up. It would almost indicate an issue. If you have a high protein load in you tank, and there is a lot of biological matter, this could be the reason it is clogging up. I rarely ever have a problem with mine, but I take the steps required to maintain my investment. Its kind of like changing the oil on your car. Usually when I over feed is when is see the biggest problem.

Jeremy

SpectraPure
09/22/2016, 11:05 PM
You are also using a competitors media. Rox 0.8 isn't really that good, and granular ferric oxide reduces down into small particles, and gets clogged in the shells screen. Perhaps you should be asking BRS why their media is getting clogged in our high quality shell, because we are known for high quality. BRS is a company that you buy from to save a dollar. Be careful of what you buy, and whom you buy from. You already told us that our reactor was a better design, perhaps you might give our media a try.

Jeremy

Gopmatt
09/23/2016, 10:16 PM
Actually I dint buy from them to save money is just convenient and I'm told it isn't garbage.... I ran out of GFO and switched to phosguard which seems to help more... And I think your right about the feeding issue. I do have a higher bio load... I didn't know u guys had made media... Wish I did... Do they have small sample sizes.. I'd be willing to give it a go without having to buy a bundle to make sure it works well... As of now I'm using aqua FX canisters it seems to help better though but if it when I use your company's media such I'm assuming is directly made for that particular machine if switch back to factory canisters.. weird cuz i have many spectrapure products.. rodi, booster pump ATO and MR DUAL... love your products... Oh btw thanks for the help so far too... I'm going to cut back feeding to 1x day... I was paranoid about anthias and Flasher wrasse having high metabolism, could of my lfs tell me feed multiple small meals but it's hard to do that and watch other fish not eat and only feed certain fish... But I'm told if I'm feeding PE MYSIS the fat and protein of high enough where it'll be fine with 1x a day fur them just to make sure they get a few nice chunks during feeding...