PDA

View Full Version : Question for 300DD owners

adam1103
09/10/2016, 07:40 PM
Hey there RC! Just had a few questions for the 300DD owners out there.... In the middle of building a new house and unfortunately the moving company I hired destroyed my 220 that I had. So with that being said I've always been in love with the deminsions of the 300DD tank. But have heard so many horror stories related to tank failures with them. So I guess here are my questions...

1- how long has your tank been running
2- any issues with bowing glass or seams cracking
3- DIY stand or stock
4- 2 or 4 drain

Any input from actual owners or past owners would really be helpful in making my decision to get this, I still have about 3 weeks before our house is complete.

Reel North
09/10/2016, 08:17 PM
If you have read all the horror stories, then you know what you will face.

Get a custom tank built to those dimensions if you like them. It will be about the same $$ and you won't be stuck with 1/2" glass and a crappy design

maddmaxx
09/10/2016, 09:46 PM
If you have read all the horror stories, then you know what you will face.

Get a custom tank built to those dimensions if you like them. It will be about the same $$ and you won't be stuck with 1/2" glass and a crappy design

+1

if you've heard the recently horror stories, then why even by the product if its known to fail? especially how many stories have been reported recently. this thread seems as if your hoping someone would talk you into a 300DD. the dimensions are awesome for sure. but personally those horror stories that ive been hearing too, steered me away from marineland tanks and doing a ton of research about custom tanks.

1. never had a marineland DD tank
2. bowing glass on that size tank no Bueno even if it doesn't leak, as you've stated, you've read about the recent failures of these tanks
3. DIY is always better, but incase of a failure, might not go as easy with the warranty coverage. ive read marineland makes it difficult if its not on a marineland stand made for that tank
4. 2 drains are fine. but on my 220g I made all 4 bulkheads into drains

good luck with your decision

adam1103
09/10/2016, 10:04 PM
Not wanting anyone to talk me into this tank at all, in fact it more the opposite. I was just wanting feed back from OWNERS of these tanks. Trust me when I say I don't want 300 gallons emptied in a new house, or old house for that matter. I've read about tank failures with multiple size tanks though. I started this thread because I'd like to hear from those that have or had the tanks. But I do appreciate your input.

Reel North
09/11/2016, 01:56 PM
Google marineland 300 tank failure. Seriously. Don't do it.

Devolver
09/12/2016, 01:02 PM
good god I hope that these stories are few and far between with 300DD owners. I just put one in the wall in my house...

Reel North
09/12/2016, 01:20 PM
Devolved - don't google it then. Might not sleep. Too tall for the glass thickness and they always blow the bottom seams out.

Devolver
09/12/2016, 01:26 PM
too late for me...Its already installed and water in it...mine is 5/8" glass though

Reel North
09/12/2016, 04:55 PM
That's a whole other ballgame than the 1/2" glass

adam1103
09/13/2016, 02:11 PM
So Devolver could you answer any of the questions that I had??

McPuff
09/14/2016, 07:22 AM
too late for me...Its already installed and water in it...mine is 5/8" glass though

Mine is also 5/8"

Devolver
09/14/2016, 07:54 AM
So Devolver could you answer any of the questions that I had??

i am afraid I will not be much help.

1) mine has been running for less than 2 months
2) no bowing or leaking
3) I did a DIY stand and it was super over built. ill see if I can figure out how to post pictures
4) I drilled the end and put an internal drain box in mine. I used the 3 drain bean animal system that most people are running now

Devolver
09/14/2016, 08:00 AM
This is doubled 2x8 top with 12" on center cross members. doubled 2x8 verticals and doubled 2x8 supports sitting on the floor. it also has a piece of 3/4 marine grade plywood on top of the deck.
under the center of the tank is a beam sitting directly on top of my LVL that runs the full length of my house. I can literally jump up and down right next to the tank and barely see movement in the water.

I am a firm believer in overbuilding the stands for bigger tanks. lets face it, there is almost 2 tons sitting on it. I am hoping that most of the failures of these tanks is due to uneven or poorly constructed stands/floors. I made sure my tank was level and its off less than a 32nd of an inch on the 6' side of the tank.

Devolver
09/14/2016, 08:11 AM
Drain. Obviously I installed the upright piece of glass after this pic was taken

GQsmooth
09/14/2016, 08:27 AM
This is doubled 2x8 top with 12" on center cross members. doubled 2x8 verticals and doubled 2x8 supports sitting on the floor. it also has a piece of 3/4 marine grade plywood on top of the deck.
under the center of the tank is a beam sitting directly on top of my LVL that runs the full length of my house. I can literally jump up and down right next to the tank and barely see movement in the water.

I am a firm believer in overbuilding the stands for bigger tanks. lets face it, there is almost 2 tons sitting on it. I am hoping that most of the failures of these tanks is due to uneven or poorly constructed stands/floors. I made sure my tank was level and its off less than a 32nd of an inch on the 6' side of the tank.

2x8's is way overkill for this tank. Better to be safe I guess

Devolver
09/14/2016, 09:13 AM
2x8's is way overkill for this tank. Better to be safe I guess

of course they are overkill but it only costs a couple of extra bucks to overbuild it. when adding up total cost of a build like this, what is a $200 more for security?

and in my opinion, its money well spent.

McPuff
09/14/2016, 11:17 AM
My stand is also built with 2x8s. It must weight 200 pounds by itself.

dartier
09/15/2016, 03:47 AM
Ok, you guys are freaking me out about using a 300DD. I bought one almost a year ago and have been delaying having it delivered while I had some home renovations completed. I am thinking I should just cancel the plan to use the 300DD and give Miracles a call since they are local to me.

Dennis

McPuff
09/15/2016, 06:09 AM
Ok, you guys are freaking me out about using a 300DD. I bought one almost a year ago and have been delaying having it delivered while I had some home renovations completed. I am thinking I should just cancel the plan to use the 300DD and give Miracles a call since they are local to me.

Dennis

I'm sure there are Miracles tanks that have failed as well... just saying. But definitely do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

dartier
09/15/2016, 02:04 PM
Mine is also 5/8"

Interesting. Marineland is responding questions about the glass thickness of the 300 DD tanks as being 12 mm as recently as 1 month ago. Is your tank an older tank or a non corner overflow one? They only make the corner overflow ones as of now. I wonder if they switched to using only tempered glass and reduced the thickness as a result.

Dennis

saf1
09/15/2016, 06:34 PM
Marineland could stop at my house, knock on the door, and offer me a free 300 DD and I still wouldn't take it. We'll never see the data but I'm willing to bet they have a pretty high failure rate compared to the total number of units sold.

dartier
09/15/2016, 08:41 PM
Marineland could stop at my house, knock on the door, and offer me a free 300 DD and I still wouldn't take it. We'll never see the data but I'm willing to bet they have a pretty high failure rate compared to the total number of units sold.

Well since I decided the 300 DD was not worth the risk, I enquired about moving up to a Miracles version the same size. Since this would be a custom tank, why limit myself to 72 inch? So I started considering a 96 inch tank. That led to 130" tank, but that proved to be unworkable in the space I have been allotted, so I am pretty sure that the final tank that I will order will be 120"x36"x30". So about 560G. Now I need to arrange the demolition of the remaining wall, the removal of a portion of the marble floor the tiler is just finishing, and the repositioning of the door to the fishroom.

... and I was so close to having the prep for the 300 DD fully complete and ready for the tank to be delivered ...

Dennis

Devolver
09/16/2016, 11:55 AM
Interesting. Marineland is responding questions about the glass thickness of the 300 DD tanks as being 12 mm as recently as 1 month ago. Is your tank an older tank or a non corner overflow one? They only make the corner overflow ones as of now. I wonder if they switched to using only tempered glass and reduced the thickness as a result.

Dennis

My 300DD had no overflow from the factory. I installed my own overflow

dartier
09/16/2016, 02:00 PM
My 300DD had no overflow from the factory. I installed my own overflow

Ah, I would bet that is the difference. Perhaps the older non-drilled tanks (no overflow) used the thicker 5/8 glass unlike the current 12 mm versions.

Dennis