PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer lid float switch

ClownsRCoo
09/11/2016, 12:31 AM
Has anyone found a float switch that can fit the existing holes in the lid without having to drill a new hole in the lid?

The one I bought is too big in diameter. I wanted to put one in the lid to kill the skimmer once the cup is full.

slief
09/11/2016, 02:10 AM
I added one to one of my lids. It's pretty straight forward. I used a Madison mini float switch. You can even use a regular Madison but you might have to tap the vent holes but not enlarge them.

This is the one I used but I chose this one because of the washdown ring in my lid that required I use a very narrow float.
https://www.amazon.com/Madison-M3326-Normally-Subminiature-Polypropylene/dp/B0090916TQ/

If you look on Madison's site, they have a wide range of floats with different shaft thread sizes. You find one that is nearly the same diameter as the hole in the lid and tap the hole so you can thread the switch in without using the but.

ClownsRCoo
09/13/2016, 12:24 PM
Any preference over a normally closed float vs normally open? All it changes is your programming code right?

slief
09/13/2016, 03:15 PM
It just changes the coding. Depending on the float you choose, often flipping the barrel on the float will change it from normally open to normally closed.