PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics

mpyers
09/12/2016, 01:43 PM
I have a question about the probiotic products. I haven't done a ton of research on them yet. But like the zeo and aquaforest probiotics that are supposed to get your phosphates and nitrates down.

Supposedly these are bacteria in a bottle that will enhance your bacteria population and they will process phos and nitrate and make it skimmable.

My question is; Once you've gone through a bottle of this stuff, do you need to keep buying it, or will you still have a solid bacteria population that will keep on working?

Assume my tank is fully cycled. Over 9 months, and over 6 months without ammonia. I have a 65 gal + 30g sump, and only 40lbs of live rock. Supplemented with marine pure in the sump. If I go this route, it will be after I have purchased the remaining needed live rock and some additional marine pure to ensure ample surface area for bacterial living.

Just wondering if it is worth doing once, not at all, or ongoing?

Sk8r
09/12/2016, 03:10 PM
I use NoPox, which I understand is bacteria food instead: it makes everything skimmable, and can hype a so-so skimmer into better performance. But yes, as you add fishfood and other things go on that may produce nitrate, you may have to repeat the dosing pattern more than once.

mcgyvr
09/12/2016, 03:28 PM
Personally I don't buy into the "probiotics" or much of anything in a bottle..
Some "claim" it works.. I tried it once a long time ago and noticed no difference at all..

But I do vinegar dose (carbon dosing) which I know increases bacterial populations for sure which is evident by the bacterial snot/film that may collect around the dosing point,etc.. and the increased skimmer activity..

mpyers
09/12/2016, 03:49 PM
What's the difference between the NoPox and other carbon dosing like vodka or vinegar? What is the claim for its increased usefulness?

mcgyvr
09/12/2016, 04:00 PM
Nopox is just a specific mixture of some parts vodka.. some parts vinegar and a bit of water for the most part with a "Red Sea" sticker on it.

mpyers
09/12/2016, 04:10 PM
How much does it affect pH?

mcgyvr
09/12/2016, 05:20 PM
How much does it affect pH?
It can a bit.. just dose over time during the day
Why are you concerned about PH?
I only care about ALK/CAL/Mag/Nitrates (and salinity obviously) keep those in check and everything else does just fine..

mpyers
09/12/2016, 06:50 PM
pH makes all of those things work more effectively. Even nitrate removal. Low pH slows it all down.

mpyers
09/12/2016, 06:51 PM
I have so many people tell me not to worry about it. But I'm convinced and adamant that i want my pH at 8.3.