PDA

View Full Version : Large stocking suggestions

kangadrew
09/13/2016, 08:04 AM
Hello, I am planning to build a large aquarium for a school, specifically about 1,500 gallons of display plus over a 300 gallon sump.

I am looking for a few stocking numbers. I know that so far the stock list will include

Green moray eel
Blue and yellow grouper
Lookdowns (12-15 of them)
Triggerfish (thinking a queen and a durgon trigger, thoughts?)
Assortment of tangs (blue tang, unicorn tang, ocean surgeonfish, and yellow tang are all on the list)
Some squirrelfish
8-10 spadefish (with perhaps a few batfish mixed into that)
Heniochus butterflies (12 of them)
A few large angelfish (french, grey, maculosus)
Blue speckled grouper
Rock hind grouper

Any thoughts? Stocking recommendations? Mostly looking for numbers of each right now.

scooter31707
09/13/2016, 09:37 AM
IMO, even though you have a big tank, I would maybe look into some of the milder Triggers. Queen Trigger can get very aggressive and big. For as the groupers just be careful of purchasing fish small enough for them to eat. Just my 2 cents.

kangadrew
09/13/2016, 05:52 PM
IMO, even though you have a big tank, I would maybe look into some of the milder Triggers. Queen Trigger can get very aggressive and big. For as the groupers just be careful of purchasing fish small enough for them to eat. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I was thinking something about the size of the queen, forgot to mention something about that though - generally I am looking for the size and color of the queen (or at least close to it) but not as aggressive, because I don't want it dominating the tank and killing everything.

I am a firm believer in the fact that if you keep your fish well fed, they won't eat the filler fish in the tank, at least not with any regularity. Even sharks, they really don't want to have to hunt down their prey if they know they're going to be fed multiple times per day - why would they waste energy chasing a fish? Sure, occasionally if one is unhealthy they will do it but as long as it's healthy and not too aggressive towards the predator, it should be fine. This has been exhibited by many a public aquarium as well

FinFollowerEd
09/13/2016, 08:34 PM
Maybe a Golden Heart Trigger instead.

BigBlueTang
09/13/2016, 09:37 PM
Maybe a Golden Heart Trigger instead.

Or maybe a fuscus trigger? They are mean as well, but less than a queen. It would be the king regardless.

kangadrew
09/14/2016, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I am thinking that a blue line would be a pretty sweet trigger to own, and it might be okay to keep one in a tank that's almost 70 square feet (about 9.5x7x3 inside dimensions) with a deal of rockwork for everyone to claim as their own. Definitely not a queen in there, I love that coloration but even in a massive system like this it seems pretty risky. Anything that goes in has a risk of being taken out by that grouper or the moray, so nothing insanely expensive OR nothing that I couldn't rehome into this big tank (such as a vlamingi or other large tang).

I am probably going to stick with the Hawaiian Black Triggerfish that I had originally planned and also go with either a Starry Triggerfish, Clown Triggerfish, or a Blueline Triggerfish. All of those are pretty aggressive fish, so they would definitely be able to hold their own in the tank but they wouldn't grow quite to the size of the queen trigger and be able to terrorize the tank (now, they might the boss-man of the tank but hopefully not the terrorist of it). I am leaning towards the Blueline Triggerfish (that BigBlueTang recommended) because they've got the size (max of 22" according to FishBase), they've got the looks (comparable to a queen triggerfish), and they've got the perfect amount of attitude (enough that it would likely be dispersed enough in a nearly 70 square foot tank). The starry triggerfish is a pretty sexy fish, as is the clown trigger, but the starry doesn't appear to be as common, and the clown can be pretty expensive. Blue lines appear to grow pretty fast as well (well all three of those options seem to grow pretty quickly).

I've got a challenge for you - how would you set up a large predator tank? It must include a large eel (a green, tesselata, or a giant moray or two or all three) and it must also include the blue and yellow grouper. Go ahead, knock me out! i wasn't set on the fish I listed, just a few ideas I had for some nice fish to go in the tank

randomfishguy85
09/14/2016, 10:37 AM
Your large eel will eat fish. It will happen. Its what they do. Why do you want such large fish. You have all that space just begging for smaller fish. Smaller trigs, wrasses, angels, tangs, and so on. I would rather have lots of movement for the students to look at, than them coming in and seeing an eel with a half alive fish in its mouth or a grouper swimming around with an eel hanging out its mouth. There are plenty of smaller alternatives to most of the.fish on your list.

kangadrew
09/14/2016, 11:37 AM
Your large eel will eat fish. It will happen. Its what they do. Why do you want such large fish. You have all that space just begging for smaller fish. Smaller trigs, wrasses, angels, tangs, and so on. I would rather have lots of movement for the students to look at, than them coming in and seeing an eel with a half alive fish in its mouth or a grouper swimming around with an eel hanging out its mouth. There are plenty of smaller alternatives to most of the.fish on your list.
We have small fish already, we have no real reason to go with more. Although perhaps an option is this - build two 600 gallon aquariums to house different fish - one houses the green moray and the grouper, and perhaps a few other fish, and the other houses some medium-large fish including angels, butterflies, triggers, tangs, etc. I want a sohal, but I am not risking it with a potentially 8-foot eel and 4-foot grouper.

There are actually two eels and two groupers that I'd like to keep - the blue and yellow grouper, the black saddle grouper, the giant moray, and the green moray. Suggestions on how to lay out these fish?

I do like the idea of not chancing it with the moray and the smaller fish though, but I don't like the idea of not having any kind of big eel/grouper. I think splitting them up would be a nice compromise.

kangadrew
09/18/2016, 06:49 AM
bump