PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 180 - Tang Combinations?

curtcherry
09/14/2016, 04:35 AM
So far I have a pair of ocellaris clowns, cherub angel, flame angle and fridmani psuedochromis.

Was thinking:
3 dispar anthias

What about tang combinations in a 180?

McPuff
09/14/2016, 11:19 AM
Depends on what type of tangs you like... Naso, Acanthurus, Zebrasoma??

curtcherry
09/14/2016, 11:29 AM
I was thinking along these lines. Sailfin Desjardin, Blue Hippo Tang, Powder Brown and a Yellow Tang.

dave.m
09/14/2016, 09:04 PM
A 180 really isn't very big. Considering all the other fish you have listed I would go with any ONE of those tangs.

Dave.M

McPuff
09/15/2016, 05:49 AM
I have to agree with Dave. You may get away with the last two as a combo but I'd not add all 4 of them. The sailfin and hippo get pretty large.

ClownsRCoo
09/15/2016, 08:40 AM
Yeah I have a 180 and was thinking the same thing. My tank would seem jam packed with all those tangs in it.

I'm going either 2 of the smaller ones kole eye or 1 of the larger ones like an Achilles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curtcherry
09/15/2016, 08:42 AM
I am thinking 3 at most now... I have to say opinions vary so much when you ask. Of course, my LFSs here say "you can put as many as 5 in there!" I think that is a little much... I am also trying to keep tangs that are smaller... 10" or less. Less than 8 fish total... Less is more??? Maybe a blue hippo, yellow and something else small.

sfsuphysics
09/15/2016, 10:43 AM
Well there's a very good chance your tang is never going to get up to the advertised "max size", most people don't keep tanks that long. But it is something to think about, if a tang can get up to 12" long, do you really want your tank to be 6 body lengths? Tangs are swimming fish and grazing fish, so you'll need to have space for both, the problem with too many tangs (I have 4 in a 270) is they can very easily completely wipe out most of the algae in the tank, sure you'll see them picking here or there, but they're pretty good at what they do.

If it were me, I would go with a Ctenochaetus type (bristletooth, they tend to be more on the smaller side, they scrape rather than pick at algae), and maybe a zebrasoma (yellow, purple, black, etc, would not go with a sailfin though). Make sure they're well fed and aggression might be minimized, but if there is a lack of food watch out.

If you were to go with Acanthurus (powder brown) I would stick with only that as the king of the tank and leave it at that.