PDA

View Full Version : Loosing my LPS's need ideas/help

RDCompton03
09/14/2016, 07:51 AM
Over the past month my LPS's have begun to slowly die off. Nothing quick just a head here and there. But previous to this the tank was fine. The tank is closing in on two years old and everything else is doing great and growing fast as were my LPS until recently. Without going over each parameter I will say that they all check well within where they should be. I am running carbon and have been for over a year. The only glitch I have had was a rise in temp of about 4 degrees from a defaulty heater. That was corrected but I still continue to loose LPS's.

I am wondering if the leathers, zoe's, paly's and other softies are putting chems into the water faster than the carbon can remove? Just brainstorming here. Also is it possible that the elevated temperatures caused them to start to decline and they are past coming back even though the temp is corrected? Don't know here have checked and rechecked parameters and all is good.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

mcgyvr
09/14/2016, 08:17 AM
How much and how often do you change the carbon?
Nitrate levels? and phosphate while you are at it..
Using RO/DI water for water changes?
How often do you change the water and how much at a time?

Have they ever been doing "good"/growing,etc..?
What else changed?

A temp shock could have caused a problem.. What temp did it get up to?

RDCompton03
09/14/2016, 09:56 AM
How much and how often do you change the carbon?
Nitrate levels? and phosphate while you are at it..
Using RO/DI water for water changes?
How often do you change the water and how much at a time?

Have they ever been doing "good"/growing,etc..?
What else changed?

A temp shock could have caused a problem.. What temp did it get up to?

I use about a 1/4 cup of carbon in 60 gal tank and change once a month. Nitrate and phosphates read 0. I do use RO/DI water and change about 10% every week to 10 days. Everything was growing great until about a month ago. Temp got up to 84 -85 and normally I run at 78 -79 degrees. Leathers and other softies are totally unaffected by whatever is going on and continue to grow well.