PDA

View Full Version : Bioload for my tank

jc061471
09/14/2016, 09:48 AM
Hello,
I have a 120 gallon FOWLR tank (60"x18"x26") and I currently have 2 clownfish, 2 chromis, and a fox face. All are doing fine and my biofilter has adjusted nicely to this stock level. As my last addition, I'm thinking about adding 2 tangs, a yellow and a kole. Is this pushing it, three large fish in a tank my size? If it is, would one tang be ok?

randomfishguy85
09/14/2016, 10:40 AM
As long as its not a reef, i say go for it. Honestly you could probably add a couple more small ones. Nitrates arent as big of a deal in a fowlr. The only issue you may have is that the foxface and tangs may fight. 7 fish in 120 gallons isnt alot by any stretch

jc061471
09/15/2016, 02:21 AM
As long as its not a reef, i say go for it. Honestly you could probably add a couple more small ones. Nitrates arent as big of a deal in a fowlr. The only issue you may have is that the foxface and tangs may fight. 7 fish in 120 gallons isnt alot by any stretch

I was just wondering because according to several tank stocking calculators I've visited online the maximum number of inches of FULL GROWN fish I can have in my tank is around 23"-24". I'm already at 22" with the fish that I now have (6" for the clowns, 7" for the chromis, and 9" for the foxface). It's weird though because I look at my tank and it still seems empty.

randomfishguy85
09/15/2016, 05:14 AM
Honestly when it comes to fish only tanks, territory is more.of an issue than bioload. I dont know what your filtration is, but beefing it up is easy enough if you need to and i doubt you would.have to in the first place. Im not saying the online calculators are completely wrong but alot more factors go into stocking a tank than inches of fish. According to that calculator you couldnt keep a snowflake eel in that tank by itself.

snorvich
09/15/2016, 06:51 AM
Honestly when it comes to fish only tanks, territory is more.of an issue than bioload. I dont know what your filtration is, but beefing it up is easy enough if you need to and i doubt you would.have to in the first place. Im not saying the online calculators are completely wrong but alot more factors go into stocking a tank than inches of fish. According to that calculator you couldnt keep a snowflake eel in that tank by itself.

There is no "rule" in saltwater of inches per gallon. Ecological niche, territorial imperative, and activity level will determine what will or will not work.

kangadrew
09/15/2016, 07:43 AM
I was just wondering because according to several tank stocking calculators I've visited online the maximum number of inches of FULL GROWN fish I can have in my tank is around 23"-24". I'm already at 22" with the fish that I now have (6" for the clowns, 7" for the chromis, and 9" for the foxface). It's weird though because I look at my tank and it still seems empty.
I don't think I would trust an online stocking calculator. There's really no way those can be accurate, a 24" vlamingii tang puts of a lot more bioload and needs a lot more space than a 24" snowflake eel. And a 10" tang needs a lot more space than 10 1" chromis. As I am sure you have heard sometime before (whether or not you remember it), the "inches per gallon" rule is outdated and really doesn't help.

But I would agree with the other posters, as long as your filtration is adequate go for it. BTW, what filtration do you have on the tank? If it were my tank, and my filtration was heavy enough, I would stock with:

-Three more schooling fish, perhaps try a few more chromis or go with a trio of anthias - Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias are by far my favorites from the group
-Some kind of wrasse, a melanurus is a good choice IMO
-A yellow watchman goby OR a randall's shrimp goby
-A flame hawkfish
-Perhaps a royal gramma as well
-And then your yellow tang, kole tang, and the fish you've already got

I am not sure how much activity you like in the tank - some people don't like lots, some people like biotope tanks, some people like tanks with more fish than water - it all depends on what YOU like though