PDA

View Full Version : First time tank transfer method advice needed.

heuerfan
09/14/2016, 10:04 AM
So I have two fish in my qt tank, moorish idol and powder blue tang. Moorish idol looked fine until I added the powder blue tang 3 days ago.

This morning the trophont (feeding stage) is clearly visible on both fish.

My question is do I wait for the trophonts to drop off from the fish and then move them to 1st tank? If yes how long do I leave them in 1st tank before moving to 2nd tank?

Thanks for your help!

SNAKEMANVET
09/14/2016, 12:54 PM
They need to go into tank transfer as soon as possible.They do not need to stay more than 72 hrs before going into next transfer.I did this and it worked great.I kept them in each transfer for approx. 65 hrs.I did 5 transfer to add a little security.Make sure to have several heaters, airstones and tubing.I did mine in 5 gallon buckets about alittle over half full.Be sure to check for ammonia

heuerfan
09/14/2016, 02:03 PM
They need to go into tank transfer as soon as possible.They do not need to stay more than 72 hrs before going into next transfer.I did this and it worked great.I kept them in each transfer for approx. 65 hrs.I did 5 transfer to add a little security.Make sure to have several heaters, airstones and tubing.I did mine in 5 gallon buckets about alittle over half full.Be sure to check for ammonia

Thank you so 5 different tanks? Or 5 moves between the two tanks?

lagatbezan
09/14/2016, 02:11 PM
start the tank transfer right away. I do a tank transfer every 72 hours (max) between two tanks. make the transfer to new tank, then clean and let dry the old tank/heater/powerhead. 3 days latter repeat same process. I like to over do things so I do it a min of 6 times.
just remember you cant add any new fish or you will need to restart the whole process over again.

lg2725
09/14/2016, 02:25 PM
4-5 moves between the 2 tanks. But make sure each tank and equipment has been COMPLETELY dried before adding new water/fish when transferring.

heuerfan
09/14/2016, 02:37 PM
Okay so I cannot return them to the current tank they are in because it is contaminated and I have live rock in there so cannot clean and dry out.

But I think I understand the process now, thanks everyone!

lagatbezan
09/14/2016, 04:10 PM
here is a link for the tank transfer method just in case:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428

heuerfan
09/16/2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the link!

Going to use four 5 gallon buckets and 4 sets of tubing air stone. I have two heaters that I will be using and making sure they air dry for 24 hours min before reuse.

Wish me luck!

ladyshark
09/18/2016, 08:35 PM
Also the tank with the live rock must remain fishless for 72 days or added fish may be re-infected

heuerfan
09/19/2016, 09:15 AM
Also the tank with the live rock must remain fishless for 72 days or added fish may be re-infected

Yes thank you for the reminder!

Its only day two but feel confident that I will kick the dreaded ICH!

I've tried hyposalinity in the pass with only 25% success rate, so hoping to acheive 100% with TTM.

lagatbezan
09/19/2016, 10:17 AM
personally TTM is my favorite type of quarantine after having done copper, hypo etc. in the past. Its is so much less stressful on the fish and you dont have to constantly worry about change in water due to evaporation and dont have to guess to add more medicine or adjust salt levels. and the best thing is water quality is always at its best since you are using fresh batch or water every couple of days.

m0nkie
09/19/2016, 10:24 AM
Yes thank you for the reminder!

Its only day two but feel confident that I will kick the dreaded ICH!

I've tried hyposalinity in the pass with only 25% success rate, so hoping to acheive 100% with TTM.

hypo and TTM can be done together to increase success rates. there are some tough bugs out there. It is totally up to you though. not necessary. If you were already in hypo, I'd just start the transfer.

heuerfan
09/28/2016, 11:04 AM
Been two weeks and so far so good, really like the TTM. Very simple and not stressful to the fish. Got two more transfers and I should be done!

scooter31707
09/29/2016, 09:11 AM
Good to hear, also you can use vinegar to help sterilize the bucket and equipment between uses.