PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic plugs vs Travertine Plugs

Zweebe
09/15/2016, 09:17 AM
Hey guys,

I'm curious about this: Ceramic Plugs vs Travertine Plugs.

Just wondering if Travertine is "better" than ceramic for encrousting or is it the same?

More and more reefers use Travertine so... let's discuss about that! :lolspin:

ryeguyy84
09/23/2016, 07:46 AM
I had no idea that travertine plugs existed. I don't think frags would encrust any faster, I have a few plastic plugs and i didn't notice any difference from ceramic.

doesn't travertine get its color from mineral deposits? that would be my only concern, as well as the cost. i'll let someone more experienced chime in.

jduck
09/23/2016, 09:48 AM
A lot of people use travertine tiles since it's the cheapest option and readily available at your local home store

Steveb
09/25/2016, 06:18 AM
A lot of people use travertine tiles since it's the cheapest option and readily available at your local home store

Same here. Never had an issue with them.. I just soak them real well to remove the backing, put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the sump until needed.

CrayolaViolence
10/06/2016, 11:53 AM
Same here. Never had an issue with them.. I just soak them real well to remove the backing, put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the sump until needed.

What do you soak them in?

CrayolaViolence
10/06/2016, 11:54 AM
I normally by aragonite plugs off eBay. Like 20.00 for 100+ or so. With shipping.

Steveb
10/06/2016, 02:26 PM
What do you soak them in?

Now that I re-read my post I should have explained better....

I pull the squares off the backing, soak them in ro/di for a few days, and then scrape what was left off..

when I'm done I just put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the sump...