PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Levels

fernalfer
09/15/2016, 10:23 AM
Ok i've been testing everyday and dosing mag and alk to get them up. Now the level i'm at posted below everything seems most happy.

Calcium - 500
Magnesium - 1440
Alkalinity - 9 DkH
Ph - 8.2

#1. Are these good levels?

#2. If so, what is the best way to maintain these levels?

- Test often and dose each separately when needed
- Can i run Kalkwasser in ATO to maintain my Alk and Calc levels and if so how much?

Currently in tank for Corals are:
- Green Star Polyp
- Hammer Coral
- 2 Zoa (1 frag, 1 colony)
- 1 Paly

Obviously these don't consume as much as SPS corals but end all want to figure the best and easiest way to maintain my parameters above?

mcgyvr
09/15/2016, 10:30 AM
You should match the levels that your freshly saltwater gives you.. and switch brands if needed if that salt is not sufficient..
That way water changes are not effecting the levels ..

alk is typically 7-11dKh and many now seem to stay on the lower side of that.. 8-9
Calcium is a bit high.. 420 is natural sea water.. Typical recommended values are 380-450
same with mag.. 1250-1350

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

I can just about guarantee you that you will NOT need to do anything as far as dosing is concerned with only having a few corals.. Your regular water changes should keep it stable enough and the consumption will be low..

Ron Reefman
09/16/2016, 05:33 AM
mcgyvr hit it just about right.

You never said how big your tank is, or how old it is, or what kinds of corals you intend to add in the future (if any)? These all could have some effect on your numbers. There is nothing wrong with your current parameters. And as mcgyvr said, getting new saltwater to be close to your tank parameters will make life easier. But it's not a huge deal if you don't mind doing some manual dosing if your water changes throw off your numbers. But that gets old after a while. If your tank is big and/or your water changes are small, the difference in parameters won't be an issue. If your tank is small and you have to do a big water change for some reason, then matching parameters does become an issue.

fernalfer
09/16/2016, 07:27 AM
mcgyvr hit it just about right.

You never said how big your tank is, or how old it is, or what kinds of corals you intend to add in the future (if any)? These all could have some effect on your numbers. There is nothing wrong with your current parameters. And as mcgyvr said, getting new saltwater to be close to your tank parameters will make life easier. But it's not a huge deal if you don't mind doing some manual dosing if your water changes throw off your numbers. But that gets old after a while. If your tank is big and/or your water changes are small, the difference in parameters won't be an issue. If your tank is small and you have to do a big water change for some reason, then matching parameters does become an issue.

I have a 120 gallon tank and do a weekly 15 gallon water change. It usually doesn't throw off my numbers to bad.

mcgyvr
09/16/2016, 08:10 AM
I have a 120 gallon tank and do a weekly 15 gallon water change. It usually doesn't throw off my numbers to bad.

But it IS throwing off your numbers..
Just make it easy on yourself.. Match salt.. life is good..

scubadan206
09/17/2016, 03:34 PM
Light kalkwasser in the ATO should be more than enough.