PDA

View Full Version : UV use and color of corals

mathman7728
09/16/2016, 11:52 AM
i had my Kole eye eventually die after a bout of some unknown issue (stopped eating, swimming in circles, etc) while this was going on, i started up the UV 24/7 in case it was something UV would help with. The end result was the color on my SPS really started to pop! maybe it was something else but the timing of UV and color enhancement is hard to ignore.

Any idea what may be the connect between color and UV?

slief
09/16/2016, 02:14 PM
UV sterilizers oxidize organics in the water. This leads to better clarity. Increased water clarity can improve light penetration and PAR levels. The improvement in your corals is likely the result of improved water clarity and the increased light and spectral penetration as a result.

mtraylor
09/17/2016, 10:52 AM
UV sterilizers oxidize organics in the water. This leads to better clarity. Increased water clarity can improve light penetration and PAR levels. The improvement in your corals is likely the result of improved water clarity and the increased light and spectral penetration as a result.

+1

Also did you just get the fish or add a new fish?

mathman7728
09/18/2016, 07:18 PM
added about 1 or 1.5 wks prior

ssick92
09/18/2016, 08:52 PM

Obviously you are correct in that it creates clearer water by removing water born organics, but I am not sure that it would clear up the water enough to make a big enough difference in lighting...

I ran a UV for a while that helped me get rid of dino's, and yes it cleared up the water, but I didn't notice that my lighting was penetrating the water any better... Could be wrong though.

pisanoal
09/19/2016, 01:20 AM
Obviously you are correct in that it creates clearer water by removing water born organics, but I am not sure that it would clear up the water enough to make a big enough difference in lighting...

I ran a UV for a while that helped me get rid of dino's, and yes it cleared up the water, but I didn't notice that my lighting was penetrating the water any better... Could be wrong though.

If you noticed an improved clarity, in your water, then I would argue that equates to better light penetration. I don't know that you could discern the brightness increase at the coral level, but the fact that you observed the clearer water I'm assuming meant you could see stuff in the tank better which is of course light bouncing off, traveling through the water to your eye.

Something else to think about, a lot of times, organics turn the water a yellow/green color. Not all that noticeable most of the time, but could inhibit some wavelengths getting to the coral that could impact health.