PDA

View Full Version : Would You Trust It?

LJLKRL
09/16/2016, 09:24 PM
I am just about sick to my stomach right now. I bought a used 210 glass tank a few months ago. My wife and I have been replacing floors and painting in the living room and kitchen, because I told her once this thing is set up I am not taking it down to do these things.
It has been sitting under my carport since I got it. I have had it full of water for a month and no leaks.
I brought it inside this afternoon and put it in front of the stand waiting for some help to show up to lift it.
I cleaned it inside and out one last time with water and vinegar solution.
I swear this nick was not there when I cleaned it.
Got it on the stand and 5 minutes after the help left, I looked at the front glass and notice a blemish. I went to wipe it off and my fingernail caught it.
I almost got sick. I had to call the helpers back to get it off the stand again while I freaked out inside.
Something hit the glass between the time I cleaned it and we lifted it, have no idea what.
There is a nick in the front panel 2 feet from the left side and about a foot or so up. I tried to stick a needle into it to see how deep it is but could not get it to go inside. It is about 3/32 to 1/8 inch across.
This is half inch thick glass.

I have it sitting back under the carport full of water again. I even gently beat on it with the side of my fist, but it did not spread.

Would you trust this tank?

dave.m
09/16/2016, 09:38 PM
Yes, it's probably okay. Tanks usually let go at the seams, not from a little nick in the face of the pane.

The trouble with these marks, though, is that once you've noticed them they never go away. They will always draw your eye and slowly drive you mad.

Dave.M

LJLKRL
09/16/2016, 09:44 PM
Yes, it's probably okay. Tanks usually let go at the seams, not from a little nick in the face of the pane.

The trouble with these marks, though, is that once you've noticed them they never go away. They will always draw your eye and slowly drive you mad.

Dave.M

It will drive me mad. I have the okey dokey to buy another tank, but I hate to spend the cash for a new one.

dave.m
09/16/2016, 09:49 PM
Instant 210 frag tank. Lucky you!

Dave.M

Flagg37
09/16/2016, 10:09 PM
I couldn't tell from the pic if it was a scratch or if the pane was cracked. If it's scratches you can try this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JErQ72NH4jA

LJLKRL
09/16/2016, 10:37 PM
I couldn't tell from the pic if it was a scratch or if the pane was cracked. If it's scratches you can try this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JErQ72NH4jA

Actually now that it is full of water I can see inside the pane at an angle. Weird the way that works. It looks like it is just a deep scratch.
I think I am going to get my helpers back tomorrow and put it back on the stand. They will love that :)

rockworm
09/16/2016, 11:47 PM
I scratched my 220g at one point. I noticed it but no one else did. Once the tank is full of rock, fish and corals, I did not really notice it. A small scratch will not affect the tank integrity. You will be so busy watching the activity in your tank, you will forget there is a little scratch.

LJLKRL
09/17/2016, 08:17 AM
I scratched my 220g at one point. I noticed it but no one else did. Once the tank is full of rock, fish and corals, I did not really notice it. A small scratch will not affect the tank integrity. You will be so busy watching the activity in your tank, you will forget there is a little scratch.

Yep, I am going to set it up. I really thought it was more like a rock chip in a windshield and went much deeper until I filled it up and could see the depth of it.

sfsuphysics
09/17/2016, 08:41 AM

Dave.M

Yeah this in a nut shell, I sold an 80G Leemar cube to someone for $100 but told them there was a scratch on the side. He wanted to know where it was, he didn't notice it with the initial inspection, I warned him once he sees it he won't be able to unsee it. But hey I understand, and if it's anything like me the scratch is like a eye magnet for him every time he looks at that side of the tank. Now he could have put it in a corner such that that pane was not visible and that would work too :)

It's the problem with reef ready tanks... not like you can turn them around so the opposite side faces forward :D