PDA

View Full Version : TDS 1 but DI resin not depleted


mitchrapp
09/17/2016, 07:38 AM
I have a BRS 4 Stage Value Water Saver Plus RO/DI System - 150GPD, which I later upgraded to 5-stage. My DI resin is currently 50% depleted (still have around 50% blue, other 50% is brown), yet my TDS meter is reading 1 for the output. The input is around 108 TDS. What is causing the TDS of 1?

mitchrapp
09/17/2016, 08:18 AM
I changed out my sediment filter and the input of the inline TDS meter is now 5, but the output is still 1.

mfaso24
09/17/2016, 08:27 AM
I changed out my sediment filter and the input of the inline TDS meter is now 5, but the output is still 1.



When you say the "input" are you referring to your source water tds, or the tds after the RO membrane but before the DI?
The sediment and carbon blocks really shouldn't have much of an effect on TDS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchrapp
09/17/2016, 08:56 AM
My inline tds meter is before and after the di stage.

mfaso24
09/17/2016, 09:34 AM
My inline tds meter is before and after the di stage.



So what that tells me is that you have 108 tds after the membrane. Which means that's shot and probably needs to be changed. Your DI is going to get depleted extremely quick.
The reason you have 1 tds on the output is probably that there is so much tds for the DI to handle is misses some, even though it's not 100% depleted yet. That's my theory at least.
But you should definitely change the membrane. How old is it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchrapp
09/17/2016, 02:43 PM
I may have measured the input while I was flushing the ro membrane. The input is now 5 tds going into the di and 1 coming out.

fcmatt
09/17/2016, 02:57 PM
The Di resin may be channeling the water through.

mitchrapp
09/17/2016, 07:55 PM
The Di resin may be channeling the water through.

Yeah, that may have been it. I went ahead and replaced the DI resin, doing an extra good job of packing the beads in and the TDS is now at 0.

mfaso24
09/17/2016, 07:57 PM
Yeah, that may have been it. I went ahead and replaced the DI resin, doing an extra good job of packing the beads in and the TDS is now at 0.



I usually add 1/3 at a time and tap in on a table. Make sure it's nice and firm when you squeeze it when it's all full.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT_BRS
09/19/2016, 10:32 PM
Some really good suggestions in here! Usually the case as fcmatt mentioned is channeling. One of my favorite things to do when packing the resin is to use a beer bottle to compact the resin in place. It fits perfect in the cartridge!

mfaso24
09/20/2016, 05:59 AM
Some really good suggestions in here! Usually the case as fcmatt mentioned is channeling. One of my favorite things to do when packing the resin is to use a beer bottle to compact the resin in place. It fits perfect in the cartridge!



Yes I remember that from your videos! Just remember to do it in thirds if halves instead of all at once. I tried this and found it wasn't quite tightly packed towards the bottom.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT_BRS
09/20/2016, 02:07 PM
Yes I remember that from your videos! Just remember to do it in thirds if halves instead of all at once. I tried this and found it wasn't quite tightly packed towards the bottom.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: