PDA

View Full Version : kole tang vs chevron tang

Ryanguldberg
09/18/2016, 07:21 AM
Ok couple questions, I think I know the answer, but wanted to run it by everyone. I have a 120 gallon tank with a 100+lbs of live rock. My current fish are 2 perc clowns, Bi Color Anglefish, scooter blenny, purple dartfish, and an condy anemone. I'd like to get one more fish, thinking a smaller tang. My question is would a chevron tang be an option or is a 120 gallon tank or is the tank to small. I've seen conflicting results on how big the tank needs to be for a chevron. I think if the fish is to big for a 120 I'll grab a kole tang.

Any other good ideas for smaller tangs that are friendly/hardy?

Deinonych
09/18/2016, 07:27 AM
Chevron tangs get way too large for a 120 gal (up to 11" in the wild). A Kole is a much better choice for your size tank.

OrionN
09/18/2016, 08:23 AM
I agree with Deinonych. I have a 320 and my Chevron quickly grew to be the biggest fish in my tank. My other fishes are as per my signature line. Signature line will not show if you use phone or mobile device to read RC.

snorvich
09/18/2016, 09:31 AM
Chevron tangs get way too large for a 120 gal (up to 11" in the wild). A Kole is a much better choice for your size tank.

This.

CHSUB
09/18/2016, 10:02 AM
i have had both in different dt....i consider the kole tang the worst fish i have ever had, killed or harassed everything. the chevron, on the other hand, was a pleasure!!!! get the chevron!!!!!

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/CHSUB/Picture%20022a_zps680nj6pv.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/CHSUB/media/Picture%20022a_zps680nj6pv.jpg.html)

OrionN
09/18/2016, 10:03 AM
That is just a baby Chevron. It will get a lot bigger quickly

R_Hudson
09/18/2016, 10:58 AM

Bingo. If a kole tang isn't to your liking you could always go with a dwarf angel. Just as active and colorful, and if your considering a chevron then money shouldn't be an issue for an angel.

ncaldwell
09/18/2016, 11:50 AM
I've had 2 kole tangs and both were the meanest fish in the tank. I thought the first had an attitude problem so I replaced it with an other. Never trying a kole tang again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OrionN
09/18/2016, 12:00 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=350136&stc=1&d=1463010996

OrionN
09/18/2016, 12:24 PM
I would keep three tangs in a 120, smaller species. Yellow, Power Blue and Kole tangs would be perfect combination. Of these three, Powder blue will be most aggressive and Kole would be least. You can add them all at once or Kole, then Yellow then Powder Blue.
I like that combination because they are all differnet Genus and will complement each other in keeping your tank clean.

Deinonych
09/18/2016, 01:44 PM
Bingo. If a kole tang isn't to your liking you could always go with a dwarf angel. Just as active and colorful, and if your considering a chevron then money shouldn't be an issue for an angel.

+1 with a caveat: dwarf angels are prone pick at corals in general (some more likely than others), so keep that in mind.

Breadman03
09/18/2016, 02:42 PM
Before my tank crashed, my kole would spend way too much time playing with our one cat. Yes. The cat.

btb72
09/18/2016, 04:01 PM
Tomini are nice or a white tail. (Love that fish)

brett559
09/19/2016, 12:49 PM
Adult Chevrons are drab anyway - you want the juvenile Chevron colors. I think Koles are the ugliest tangs in the hobby. I'd for sure get a little Chevron, enjoy it while it's prettiest and then sell it when it gets big (and ugly).

OrionN
09/19/2016, 01:35 PM
Get a fish to get rid off when he is bigger is a bad idea IMO. I also agree with Brett559 that adult Chevron are ugly or Kole tangs are ugly.
Please see my adult Chevron above. Beauty is in the eye of the individual. To me, bright color does not mean beautiful. The intricate patterns of the the Kole and Chevron are very beautiful.

shred5
09/19/2016, 01:57 PM
Tangs are just mean period. Any tang can be nice or mean depending on the conditions or situations.
That barb on their tail can be very damaging or even deadly since some are poisonous.
I just trapped a white cheek because he was killing everything.

I have had a Kole for several years now and it is odd I added a sailfin and he is fine, I add a Watanabei and he is angry. The sailfin is small and was getting the crap kicked out of it by my white cheek which is now gone. The sailfin decides he does not like my pyramid butterfly fish. Usually the powder blues and purples are the worst but any tang except naso tangs can be just as bad, Naso tangs seem to be pretty docile and really do not care about other fish.. Once established you pretty much can forget adding fish.

Personally after 30+ years in the hobby I am just sick of tangs, you just never know when they are going to attack a new fish or not. You get a prize new fish and they can kill it in minutes. Sometimes they hit a certain size and just change their hole demeanor. Plus when it comes to diseases they are the most touchy fish you can own. They just are not worth the headaches sometimes. They are best left for very large tanks where fish have plenty of room to hide or get away.

saf1
09/19/2016, 08:30 PM

My last dives in Hawaii this past July would argue Kole Tangs can get just has large has a Chevron. In July I was on a few wreck dives and saw some of the largest Kole Tangs I've ever seen.

Maybe they are doing a few rounds of PED's or something, but those darn things are huge. Easy 9 - 10" and at 90 ft depth! It was on my list for my 210 I'm building but alas will have to find something smaller :(

WLachnit
09/20/2016, 02:46 AM
My last dives in Hawaii this past July would argue Kole Tangs can get just has large has a Chevron. In July I was on a few wreck dives and saw some of the largest Kole Tangs I've ever seen.

Maybe they are doing a few rounds of PED's or something, but those darn things are huge. Easy 9 - 10" and at 90 ft depth! It was on my list for my 210 I'm building but alas will have to find something smaller :(

I completely agree.... That has been my experience in diving in Hawaii as well. They get big. Although mine in my 300 has stayed small and I've had him for years.

OrionN
09/20/2016, 05:02 AM
I don't think fish ever stop growing, their growth just slow down a lot when they get certain size. Like tree, we can count growth ring on scales, or other bony parts of a fish to determine it's age.