PDA

View Full Version : brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster

saltwaternoobie
09/18/2016, 05:29 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster.html

Hello I've been researching chloramines , and have found a chloramine filter does not last long . I've found this on brs . It looks like a great system , interested in it .however I'm located in Canada , wondering if anyone is running a similar system In Canada or a place where I could purchase in Canada ?

n2585722
09/18/2016, 07:56 PM
I don't have that filter, but I do use their 5 stage chloramine replacememt filter kit in my RODI unit. There is chloramines in our water and this seems to do the trick for me.

LXXero
09/18/2016, 11:18 PM
I think it would be good. I've watched their various videos about cloramines, and they definitely talked all about a lot of this stuff...they know what they are doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQBDqZzu04

another thing to consider is adding a 2nd RO membrane. This will process the waste water through another RO membrane, and often reduces the waste water ratio by almost half, which also reduces the wear on the carbon filters, as you need half as much water to make an equivalent amount.

Opus123
09/19/2016, 09:14 AM
Any good quality carbon filter is going to take out chloramines. Get a 1 micron or better yet .5 micron carbon filter.

Not sure on the 2nd RO Membrane theory. Yes you are using less water but you are sending very high tds water thru the second membrane which will cause it to fail much sooner than normal.

saltwaternoobie
09/19/2016, 12:13 PM
Lots of good info here ,thanks for taking time to post .

Alot of the filters I've found are good for Max 2500 gallons for chloramine removal for ten inch housings .
I didn't think water would be this big of a decision

Undecided on dual membrane as I believe your taking junk water and repurposing it . I'm aware alot of people do it just not sure which route to take

alton
09/19/2016, 01:32 PM
It took me years to figure out why my RO Membranes were being spent so fast. I HATE CHLORAMINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not safe for humans either

saltwaternoobie
09/19/2016, 01:33 PM
It took me years to figure out why my RO Membranes were being spent so fast. I HATE CHLORAMINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not safe for humans either

Sorry had to laugh at all the exclamation points !.

So what do you run ? Filter setup

alton
09/19/2016, 02:42 PM
Sorry had to laugh at all the exclamation points !.

So what do you run ? Filter setup

Right now I have 1 micron sediment, 2 chloramine Chloraguard filters, booster pump, MAX R Membrane, Dual DI. The second DI cartridge has lasted as long as two RO membranes. I have used spectrapure filters and RO Membrane also. They start out at a TDS reading of 1 and in 6 months are at 6+. I couldn't figure it out until I started testing for chloramines after the filters. It seems the my water company uses way too much chloramines, and since I am first inline being a couple hundred yards from the pump site I get a fresh dose. I am going to add a third Chloramine filter and try another brand and closely watch choramines next filter / RO Membrane change. If that doesn't last I will move up to the monster? If BRS needs test dummy I am offering up my services.

saltwaternoobie
09/19/2016, 02:53 PM
. I am going to add a third Chloramine filter and try another brand and closely watch choramines next filter / RO Membrane change. If that doesn't last I will move up to the monster? If BRS needs test dummy I am offering up my services.

Have you tried the pentek series chlor plus ? They seem good filter from what I've found .wondering if you've had success ..sounds pretty extreme conditions

alton
09/19/2016, 03:04 PM
Have you tried the pentek series chlor plus ? They seem good filter from what I've found .wondering if you've had success ..sounds pretty extreme conditions

Yes I believe so, because when I change filters I buy I membrane, two Chloramine, two sediment, and Di filters. When I bought from Spectrapure I would of followed the same routine. A little history when my rural water company was using only chlorine my wife wanted a larger kiddy pool for the kids so I set it up added a little chlorine and kids went swimming but when they got out there trunks were a little white and the wife screamed. I bought a chlorine test kit (a little late) and found out the chlorine level fresh from the tap was at 4ppm! For the rest of the summer I never added chlorine, just topped the pool with fresh over chlorinated water. (Sorry I got off track)

sleepydoc
09/19/2016, 05:07 PM
BRS did a couple of videos a while back comparing different carbon blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEL8KvDr3-k

They actually do a good job of going over a lot of the different variables that can affect chloramine removal

saltwaternoobie
09/19/2016, 08:41 PM
Yes I believe so, because when I change filters I buy I membrane, two Chloramine, two sediment, and Di filters. When I bought from Spectrapure I would of followed the same routine. A little history when my rural water company was using only chlorine my wife wanted a larger kiddy pool for the kids so I set it up added a little chlorine and kids went swimming but when they got out there trunks were a little white and the wife screamed. I bought a chlorine test kit (a little late) and found out the chlorine level fresh from the tap was at 4ppm! For the rest of the summer I never added chlorine, just topped the pool with fresh over chlorinated water. (Sorry I got off track)

Reminds me of a Simpson's episode . If you watch that show

saltwaternoobie
09/19/2016, 08:43 PM
BRS did a couple of videos a while back comparing different carbon blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEL8KvDr3-k

They actually do a good job of going over a lot of the different variables that can affect chloramine removal

Yes watched those , great info . Just wanted to know what some other people run ! Brs is great ,knowleagble and wish they were in Canada . However at the end of the day there a business and highlighting products they sell and there are lots of other good products as well
Not cutting brs down , just like to see as many options

alton
09/20/2016, 05:09 AM
Yes watched those , great info . Just wanted to know what some other people run ! Brs is great ,knowleagble and wish they were in Canada . However at the end of the day there a business and highlighting products they sell and there are lots of other good products as well
Not cutting brs down , just like to see as many options

I wish they would of tested Chloraguard also, unless maybe there brand is the same, just not marked as such?
My kids grew up watching the Simpsons.

saltwaternoobie
09/20/2016, 06:51 AM
I wish they would of tested Chloraguard also, unless maybe there brand is the same, just not marked as such?
My kids grew up watching the Simpsons.

That would have been nice to see them testing products other than what they sell .

With your high water content have you ever talked to your municipality about testing your water ?

alton
09/20/2016, 01:24 PM
Well I just sent them an email, lets see how long it takes to respond?

sleepydoc
09/20/2016, 07:44 PM
Yeah, Dealing with customs/ international shipping sucks. I have the luxury of living close to their warehouse so I can just pick stuff up. My neighbor is from Canada and some people she knows back home have a PO box in the states and drive across the border to pick things up. Only works if you live near the border, though.

In the end, BRS is a business, so I wouldn't expect them to test products they don't sell(although they may alter their product line based on their results.) likewise, as with all such videos, you need to take the results in context, but the video gives a lot of useful general information, and even if you can't get stuff shipped to Canada from BRS, hopefully there's some information there that you can use to help you find a similar product in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyman
09/20/2016, 09:15 PM
If you want to handle cholorimes this is what you must buy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAJKFN0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've got this installed and its been running for 3 years and has over 500,000 gallons through it by now and still going strong. I test for free cholorine and its still 0 or near it.

saltwaternoobie
09/20/2016, 11:07 PM
Well I just sent them an email, lets see how long it takes to respond?

Nice ...let me know what happens !

saltwaternoobie
09/20/2016, 11:19 PM
Yeah, Dealing with customs/ international shipping sucks. I have the luxury of living close to their warehouse so I can just pick stuff up. My neighbor is from Canada and some people she knows back home have a PO box in the states and drive across the border to pick things up. Only works if you live near the border, though.

In the end, BRS is a business, so I wouldn't expect them to test products they don't sell(although they may alter their product line based on their results.) likewise, as with all such videos, you need to take the results in context, but the video gives a lot of useful general information, and even if you can't get stuff shipped to Canada from BRS, hopefully there's some information there that you can use to help you find a similar product in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input ! Yes have definitely learned some things !

What I hate with ordering in us sites is pay taxes , duty shipping. And a surprise duty fees when it shows up on my doorstep

saltwaternoobie
09/20/2016, 11:22 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAJKFN0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've got this installed and its been running for 3 years and has over 500,000 gallons through it by now and still going strong. I test for free cholorine and its still 0 or near it.

Looks like a great unit , found a similar unit here I'm considering this unit , down the road possibly . I've been studying water lately as a hobby , realizing l I don't want water in my house untreated .

http://www.aquatell.ca/products/whole-house-carbon-chloramine-filter-by-aqualux

alton
09/21/2016, 05:07 AM

Thanks

andyman
09/21/2016, 01:13 PM
I'm sure you've seen the prefilter and how much iron deposits (brown sludge) builds up. The government thinks its fine you drink this stuff because its in such small quantity. In fact when they work on water mains they don't bother cleaning up. They just work on it and let it distribute. Look at flint, mi ! I think I found all kinds of stuff coming from the water mains into my house and I am in San Francisco, the cleanest local tap water source in the country. I would not drink water unfiltered. At the very minimum you should atleast do mechanical filtration. That is cheap to do.

For canadians..
https://www.amazon.ca/Chloramines-Whole-House-Filtration-System/dp/B019HOGA1C/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1474485149&sr=8-44&keywords=chloramine

If I were you just order it and have it shipped to Seattle with a friend or something.. Then drive down and pick it up. Its more then double the price in canada!

saltwaternoobie
09/21/2016, 01:16 PM
double the price in canada!

Why I always look for Canadian sites . Things get stupid here . Found some options on Canadian sites . Looking into local options

Buckeye Hydro
10/17/2016, 04:39 AM
Oddly enough, RO membranes are very resistant to damage from chloramines. Filmtec stopped their test at 300,000 ppm*hours.

The problem is that chloramines are almost always accompanied by some free chlorine - it is the free chlorine that does the damage.

Russ

saltwaternoobie
10/17/2016, 06:58 AM
Oddly enough, RO membranes are very resistant to damage from chloramines. Filmtec stopped their test at 300,000 ppm*hours.

The problem is that chloramines are almost always accompanied by some free chlorine - it is the free chlorine that does the damage.

Russ

I didn't realize ro would be such a big choice !
What are your thoughts about carbon removing chloramines ?say a 20 inch carbon filter with 1/4 inch fittings

Buckeye Hydro
10/17/2016, 07:00 AM
Please give us a call so we can better understand your existing system and your goals. Customer Service/Tech Support phone lines open all day today.

Russ
513-312-2343

saltwaternoobie
10/17/2016, 07:03 AM
Please give us a call so we can better understand your existing system and your goals. Customer Service/Tech Support phone lines open all day today.

Russ

Thanks for the invite ! I appreciate it , however I am in Canada and usually try to buy Canadian as our dollar is terrible , exchange duty and shipping is a killer .

Thanks for responding

Buckeye Hydro
10/17/2016, 07:05 AM
You'd typically go with larger filters like a 20" x 2.5" to accommodate higher flows. We find the best value for residential-scale RO systems (nearly all of those used in this hobby) is our Chloraguard followed by our 0.5 micron Chlorine Grabber - both 10" x 2.5"

Russ

saltwaternoobie
10/17/2016, 07:10 AM
You'd typically go with larger filters like a 20" x 2.5" to accommodate higher flows. We find the best value for residential-scale RO systems (nearly all of those used in this hobby) is our Chloraguard followed by our 0.5 micron Chlorine Grabber - both 10" x 2.5"

Russ

Thanks Russ you've been most helpful

tkeracer619
10/17/2016, 09:13 AM
I'm using a similar setup. Worth every penny.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483520