PDA

View Full Version : Starting back up Tank plans

Pezpit
09/18/2016, 06:17 PM
Been out for 7 yrs or so..only have my Oceanic 40 gallon cube.. will be FOWLR.. hob skimmer .two powerheads.
Crushed coral sand .live rocks .couple fish .watchman goby and shrimp...clean up crew...does this sound like I'm even close? Have an older orbit lighting system..

ssick92
09/18/2016, 08:31 PM
Since it is going to be FOWLR you can get away with a lot... But I am not too fond of the crushed coral with a goby/shrimp. In my experience they like finer sand because it is easier to maneuver for the shrimp, and the goby will grab a mouthful and filter out his food -- he can't do this with crushed coral...

Other than that, as long as you stay on top of your weekly water changes you should be alright with a FOWLR. I will warn you that once you start a FOWLR, you will probably eventually want to add corals and you current set up will make that difficult without drilling the tank to add a sump.

Pezpit
09/19/2016, 05:36 AM
Good advice on goby..thanks he is by far my favorite actually the reason I'm returning to the sport..loved my watchman goby and pistol shrimp..so live sand is the better option? I know the coral urge but I'm going to resist atleast try..

ssick92
09/19/2016, 08:32 AM
Good advice on goby..thanks he is by far my favorite actually the reason I'm returning to the sport..loved my watchman goby and pistol shrimp..so live sand is the better option? I know the coral urge but I'm going to resist atleast try..

Yes, live sand would be a better option if you are set on keeping a goby/shrimp pair. I have aragonite in my current tank and my shrimp and goby seem to love it. In my previous tank I had Oolite and they loved that as well.