PDA

View Full Version : Hatching fry

jay_blu
09/18/2016, 07:11 PM
I'm having a terrible time hatching my fry. The second clutch laid I hatched about 70 and still have them from back in March. Since then I have only had like 1 to 10 hatch out of every clutch and they have all been on different nights. I will get 1 or 2 on night 6, then 3 or so on night 7 then just a few more on night 8 and 9. I have the tank painted black, the heater is a stealth with the led blacked out. Then I cover the tank with black plastic and put a black blanket on top. I use the main tank water on night 6 in a 20gal with an air stone on the heater on low and one on the pot on med. Both tanks are at 80 degrees. I have tried air bubbles right on the eggs, right off the eggs, no stone on a rigged line, the pot laying down standing up and seams to me any other way. Please help I can't seam to get them to hatch and even if I do its never on the same night.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CoralsAddiction
09/18/2016, 08:25 PM
Try moving the hatchings a day later. So 7 days instead of 6. That should be enough. The best thing I did regarding this issue was wait out three hatchings to know precisely how long it takes for the fry to hatch. In my case it's 10 days.

jay_blu
09/20/2016, 10:48 AM
Thank you for the advice! I left the pot in the tank a few few times to try to collect the fry from there and it was the same thing. The would hatch in small batches, well I assume that's start happens. I never found any with the Maglite method. But small patches were gone each day. I went over pickles thread again, I'm starting to blame mysis shrimp... everything I feed then had shrimp in it. He says that if you feed the parents shrimp it makes it hard for the fry to break out on hatch night, what do you think?

CoralsAddiction
09/20/2016, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the advice! I left the pot in the tank a few few times to try to collect the fry from there and it was the same thing. The would hatch in small batches, well I assume that's start happens. I never found any with the Maglite method. But small patches were gone each day. I went over pickles thread again, I'm starting to blame mysis shrimp... everything I feed then had shrimp in it. He says that if you feed the parents shrimp it makes it hard for the fry to break out on hatch night, what do you think?

Are you keeping the lights completely off on hatch night? This includes flashlight and room light. I can't comment on the diet because my broodstock gets fed pellets (TDO and NLS).

jay_blu
09/21/2016, 12:27 PM
Yes the lights are all off, the only light in the room is the apex controller. The tank is painted on 3 sides and bottom, then covered with 6ml black plastic and a black blanket.

Wilrok_1
09/22/2016, 09:28 PM
I usually pull on 8th night , in about 5 gallons of water from parents tank , already stocked with Rotifers , very low light and tank tinted on 3 sides , if you see them spiral up and all the way down its because light is to strong , I start feeding BBS on 2 nd day . Good luck

jay_blu
09/24/2016, 08:59 AM
Once they hash is no problem with keeping them going. .. I just can not get them to pop out of their eggs

JonezNReef
10/10/2016, 04:00 PM
I too have read on several different threads, write ups, and books where something is mentioned about trying not to feed the parents much if any shrimp because it cause the eggs to get to hard for the larvae to hatch. Try changing up the parents diet a little and see if that helps any. Also please let us know if you see a change or not!

Denbf58
12/04/2016, 05:56 AM
my breeding pair are in a 29g reef i watch for color change inthe eggs form gray to more
of sliver. i use a home made fry catcher to catch fry.